Laminate flooring over broken tiles

Old 01-13-07, 03:58 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate flooring over broken tiles

I just removed glued (solid) wood from my bedroom. The problem is that some of the tiles underneath came with it. Now the room has some sections (about 20% area) with no tiles or broken tiles and the rest has clean level tiles. Room size is about 150 sq ft total.

My plan is to (DIY) install floating Laminate flooring on top of it. I was just wondering if I can still put some foamy underlayment padding on top of it and go ahead with the install. Or if I should get some floor levelling compound and pour it over those areas and level with a wood block or something. The titles are about 1/8th of an inch thick. So the uneven places are about 1/8th of an inch lower.

I don't think removing all the tiles is an option for me. What are the other alternatives I have?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-07, 04:09 PM
S
I have to assume you're talking about vinyl tiles. I think you can get away with that, but, if I were doing it in my house, I'd either do as you suggested and float the low spots out, or go to a flooring store and see if they've got any vinyl tiles left over from a job they'll sell cheap to replace the missing ones. Who cares if they match. I might not even glue them in, just fill the holes. That's supposed to be one of the advantages of laminate, I think I'd test it. I don't believe I'd just leave them though for fear the floor might be a bit noisy in those areas.

Old 01-13-07, 06:10 PM
Y
Interesting

Hmm.. thats an interesting idea. I have the tiles that popped out. So technically, I can just place them back where they came up (except for the broken ones). But it seems nicer to buy some ugly/cheap vinyl tiles with glue on back, cut them to size, peel and stick them. Seems far easier to do than any levelling compound. For smaller broken sections that are too small to take any tiles, I can pour some leveling compound or just leave them like that. Those would be too small to make any difference (except different clacking sound maybe).

You may have just saved me a lot of hard work. Thank you so very much.

Old 01-13-07, 06:22 PM
I
Smoke hit this one on the head.I was gonna advise just what he advised.

Nuff said!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: