Solid Hardwood to Carpet Transition

Old 01-15-07, 03:37 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Solid Hardwood to Carpet Transition

Maybe one of the HW floor gurus can answer something. I have searched the forum and couldn't find the answer. I'm going to be replacing a crappy engineered floor that has seen better days with 3/4 solid. I have 3 places where this will butt up against carpet. Presently, there is a 2 inch wide piece that is flush with the wood floor and is at right angles to the direction of the 3 inch boards. Since my new floor will be prefinished, I searched for these transition pieces. All I can find are threshold and reducers. I searched the forum and that is all I could find talked about there also. What are these pieces? Just regular floor boards? I can't see the tounge or groove on the side. I actually went to look at some model homes to see how theirs were down. In ever home that had wood, it was done exactly like mine. Just these flush to the wood transition pieces. No reducers or baby thresholds. Please explain if you can.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-07, 09:22 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If the installations you saw where carpet and hardwood transition and they did not use a baby threshold, they likely cut off the tongue or groove and abutted the carpet to the hardwood.

Old 01-15-07, 09:39 AM
M
That is what I kind of figured. When using a prefinished floor, how is the cutting handled? Do you just rip them on a table saw or can you just use the groove side towrds the carpet and let the carpet hide it. I know on the ones I saw and on mine, the carpet is slightly higher that the hardwood. I'm worried that I'll wreck the finish if I go to cut off the groove or tounge.

Old 01-15-07, 10:07 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
With carpet at a higher level than the wood in a high traffic area, the carpet will tend not to wear well. The baby threshold rests on top the hardwood, providing a slightly higher elevation than the wood, and it provides a flat surface against which the carpet abutts.

Old 01-16-07, 10:10 AM
U
We had a similar problem with the engineered stuff not covering enough of the carpet since the carpet was a bit damaged at the edges, so we cut a piece of solid oak to match the part that snaps into the plastic part that is screwed into the subfloor, but made it wider to over lap the carpet more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: