Installing laminate flooring in "J"

Old 01-17-07, 04:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Installing laminate flooring in "J"

Hi everyone I just joined and this is my first attempt at getting some help. I am in the middle of installing about 800 sq. ft. of laminate flooring in my basement. It is the uniclic, floating floor style. The issue is that my basement is kind of a J shape (not an L). If you can picture this I started at the top of the J laying planks left to right. I am now at the portion where it moves to the left and do not know how to handle the portion that turns back up. This would require me to install the flooring "backwards". As I laid the flooring in the tall straight portion I would align the long edge of the plank at 45 deg and snap in place. I will not be able to do this in the small hook portion. I do not want to add any transition piece. please help. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-07, 04:45 PM
S
You can't install the butt end of a plank to the side of another, If that's what I understand you to be saying. The locking part on the ends is different than the sides. If you don't want transition pieces, snap it all together and it will all go the same direction, yet appear to change direction in the different sections of your area. I've seen Carpets Done Wright tell some folks that the locking mechanism can be removed in some instances and the boards glued together, but I don't know if this would work in your case. He will most likely check in later and let you know.

Old 01-17-07, 06:20 PM
I
I assume you mean that you will now be working from the opposite side of the room, not a problem,the board will snap in, you are not working backwards just different. the board will fit different than what you got used to but it will still fit.Lift up on the board as you slip in the lock it will work..

When I get to a job I will test lay a few boards, this will give an indication of which direction will go the fastest. You have laid it all the easy way, now just figure out the system to snap it in the other way, it will work. Do not reverse the boards keep them all the same direction the lock will fit.

The only time I have to cut a lock is in a doorjamd fitting then I try to keep it to a minimun. These new snap locks may swell when glue is applied, they may not. I prefer not to take that chance.
I spent many years working with glue down laminates and saw many glue related joint cuppings

Old 01-17-07, 09:00 PM
I have not met a rotating lock yet, that I couldn't back lay also. It is tricky, but not impossible with the right tools and a little experimenting on different positions of my mouth.

Old 01-18-07, 09:11 AM
M
Thanks. I think Smokey misunderstood. It was hard for me to explain. But I think ifllc and Carpets have it right. I do not plan on changing the direction of the planks. I thought I was only going to be able to install by inserting the tongue portion into the groove and rotating down (normal method). But as I work up small portion of the "J" I will need to do the opposite. The tongue will alreay be on the floor and I will have to rotate the groove into it and snap it down. I tried a couple scrap pieces last night and on a hard surface I was able to get the joint tight. I hope with the pad it will be a little easier as I will be able to get the groove under the tongue easier. I plan on tackling this, this weekend . So I will let everyone knows how it goes. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-21-07, 04:39 AM
W
Could you offer some pictures ,I would love to see the visual effect ,
Thank you

Old 01-22-07, 07:40 AM
M
Not sure how I post pictures as i am very new to this. however, I got into it this weekend and it was not as difficult as I imagined. As ifllc stated it's a bit tricky from the "easy and prescribed method" (sliding tongue into groove and rotating down) but the groove will slide under the tongue and snap down. Amost done with the flooring ...now I have a question on stairs...

Old 01-22-07, 02:54 PM
I
Bring it on

Are you doing a full staircase?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: