does laminate flooring move after installation?

Old 01-18-07, 07:24 AM
F
feh
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
does laminate flooring move after installation?

Hi folks.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through a laminate floor install. I'm surprised at how easy the flooring slides around on the sub-floor.

Just wondering - has anybody had any problems with their floating floor moving after installation, and possibly exposing gaps at the baseboard?

Thanks.

Old 01-18-07, 07:31 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Floating floors float. There is movement with anything that floats. Many people do not like floating floors for this reason. DIYers prefer floating floors because of ease of installation.

Old 01-18-07, 09:00 AM
M
I'm about 600 sq. ft. into an 800 sq. ft. flooring install. My first. The only movement I have seen is along the row that I am installing when tapping the short ends together. Sometimes other joints may open up (on the short ends only) depending on how hard you need to hit the plank to close the gap. But it hasn't moved at the ends near the baseboard. It will float however over time and expand and contract . That is why is is so important to not have any stationary objects (brackets, cabinets, etc.) mounted on top of the flooring. If you do, gaps will eventiually surface.

Old 01-18-07, 11:08 AM
I
I have adjusted entire rooms from one wall with a prybar.Be aware of this factor prior to installing your base.
If you have area in question drylay a peice of base/shoemold to confirm it covers.
It should not move with your furniture pressure applied.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: