Prefinished Flooring

Old 01-22-07, 04:40 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Prefinished Flooring

I have a question on prefinished hardwood floors. I recently obtained some samples of Muskoka and have noticed that it scratches very easily. All you need to do to scratch it is run a fingernail on it. My current site fininshed hardwood does not do this. It has 3 coats of oil based poly on it. I cannot scratch it with me fingernail. I was under the impression that the prefinished with the 8 coats of aluminum oxide finish is very tough. Are all the brands like this? We have a dog and we know the floor will get scratched as he does scratch the current one, but I thought with the prefininshed, it would be a little harder. Are some floor brands harder that others?

Last edited by mabrandt; 01-22-07 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-22-07, 05:02 AM
J
Most prefinished floors have a very hard and durable finish. Not familiar with that brand, but if it scratches that easily, I would not even consider it.

Old 01-22-07, 05:13 AM
I
Yes many brands are harder than others.

Here is what they do not tell you:There has been an influx of Chinese wood that has saturated the market.
It is hardwood but it is not pulled from above the 40th parallel so it is not a true hard wood.
Confirm the wood is a true hardwood to start with.
You get what you pay for when it comes to the wearlayer if the wood offers a 10 year warranty it is not the heavy coated aluminum oxide wearlayer. if it offers a 25 year warranty it is.
If your dog is over 40 lbs it will scratch and prefinished wood if its nails are not maintained.

IE: I just did a Somerset hardwood job. It is all pulled from above the 40th parallel Somerset is one of the few that offer only true hardwood.
The customer had a 85 lb puppy. You could here the toenails clicking as it walked. This dog is not even full grown,they kept him in the basement while we were wroking.I arrived the next day to complete the job and the floor had scratches everywhere, fortunatly I had left my cardboard that the wood came in laid out and most of the floor was covered. so it was evident to the consumer it was his dogs toenails. I advised him to get the toenails maintained. I came back two weeks later to fill a small hole we had missed and the toenails were still clicking....
It was the ten year wearlayer.

Old 01-22-07, 05:29 AM
M
The wood is from Canada and has the 25 year warranty. It is the finish that is scratching, not the wood. On the bottom of the sample on the unfinished side, it doesn't scratch at all with my nail. I'm thinking maybe it is because of the depth of 8 layers as compared to the 2 or 3 on my current floor? I really don't believe that the major wood floor manufactures are importing their wood from China.

Last edited by mabrandt; 01-22-07 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-22-07, 11:00 AM
All finish will scratch to some extent, some more then others. If you don't feel comfortable with that product, resume your search.

Old 01-22-07, 11:57 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Better pre-finished hardwood flooring products have additives like aluminum oxide to make them scratch resistant. Not scratch-proof.

Finish warranties mean that there will be finish on the wood to protect and seal it in 10 or 25 or whatever the time period of the warranty. The warranty dues not warranty against scratches, dings, dents, etc.

If you can scratch finish off hardwood with fingernail, continue your search for a better finished product. Even a 25-year finish will scratch from 85# dogs with untrimmed nails. The National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's Association recommends that you keep nails trimmed.

The Muskoka online description sounds good: http://www.hoskinghardwood.com/viewbybrands.asp?brand=7&pg=Muskoka+Flooring

Old 01-22-07, 01:32 PM
M
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll search on as this one scratches very easily. Much easier than my current floor which I screened and finished myself a while back. It is a shame as the milling of what I saw was great. I brought all this up as I thought if all the 25 year warranted prefinishes were about the same, I'd have to go with it.

Old 01-22-07, 02:02 PM
I
Here is a good read for those that are inclined to disbeleive the influx of the Chinese wood on the American market.http://woodpro.cas.psu.edu/China.htm

This is just one source here in Indiana.

Research Bruce you will find 2/3 of their wood is chinese wood.

They are also influxing the market witha porcelian tile that I have to say is good tile but my local suppliers cannot compete with the cost.

They win we loose.......And we are supporting a communist goverment.

Hmmmm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: