Floating Laminate on Stairs

Old 01-22-07, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Floating Laminate on Stairs

I am almost done with my floor and ready to tackle the stairs. In the video I have it states that the laminate can be glued directly to the plywood and treads (my stairs are bare). This is a bit contradictory to the whole floating floor system, but anyway. However, in looking at the bullnose that the store's sell to finish the tread, the cost is very expensive. I have about 12 steps that turn 90 degrees at a landing (4'x4') in the middle. The person who sold me the flooring told me I can buy the metal bullnose with the grooves for traction at the store and simply cut and either nail or screw them into the laminate and into the tread. This appeals to me as the laminate can be a bit slick and this metal piece will give it a bit of traction when walking down.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-07, 04:10 PM
This is "users choice"
The laminate stairs I have installed I used wood stairnose. This overlaps slightly and breaks the slipping point up it does not however take it away.

Here is an idea.

Scribe each step: Cut a piece of tarpaper to fit the step and riser perfectly. # each piece as each step will be slightly different.

This is now your pattern.
Overlay it on your piece of laminate, trace it out and cut that sucker.
Dry fit each piece to confirm it is fitted properly.

This can be glued and the expansion is not as applicable because you are working with one piece. If your piece fits right on step all you will need is bead of caulk or color match sealer on the sides.

Don't forget to number the patterns and th cut pieces.

Old 01-23-07, 02:55 PM
Thanks ifllc. Not sure about the whole tar paper. I know i will use two pieces of laminate on the step and one on each riser. I will have to rip the riser and one piece on the step. A lot of measuring will be required.

I will look into the real wood bullnose. I didn't even think of that. Also, I searched other posts and it appears a poly urethane glue (PL200) is what is recommended when gluing the laminate to the floor. Thanks again.