Uneven Floor between Kitchen and Living room

Old 01-22-07, 04:47 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uneven Floor between Kitchen and Living room

I have hardwood floors in the living room and I have cermaic tiles in the kitchen. But when I first moved in the previous owners had a wood saddle on the floor separating the two rooms. We removed the old wood saddle and I had my brother-in-law do the ceramic tiles in the kitchen. Now what he did was he used backerboards to do the job. The way the flloor came out was wonderful but now the kitchen fllor and the living room floor are not level with each other. The kitchen is about a half inch higher then the livingroom floor. Does anyone know what I could do put down on the 4" gap between the 2 rooms and the half inch difference in height?

Old 01-22-07, 09:57 PM
S
How about another wood piece that ramps the tile level down to the wood level?

Old 01-23-07, 07:39 PM
S
Originally Posted by Smokey49 View Post
How about another wood piece that ramps the tile level down to the wood level?
I was thinking that myself but I wouldn't know where to look for a wood piece that ramps down. Sounds like a great idea but just stuck on that. I tried to make one myself but don't have the right tools and I don't want to spend the money, if it costs a lot, to get one. Do you think a lumber yard might do the trick? Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-23-07, 09:58 PM
S
I don't think you'll find anything like that pre-manufactured. I think I'd drop by a cabinet shop and see if they will do it for you. I needed a special threshold once for a similar situation and that's how I got it made since I didn't have the tools at the time. It cost me twenty bucks and he cranked it out right then.

Old 01-23-07, 11:41 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you saying that you have a 4" gap between 3/4" thick hardwood and tile with backer board sits 1/2' higher than hardwood? So, when you measure from subfloor up to top of tile that it is 1 1/4"?

Old 01-25-07, 06:16 PM
That sure is a big gap, 4". But, I guess at this point it can't be narrowed.

I just built six threshold boards out of the same 3/4" oak boards floor we used to refloor my son's den. So, you could built one yourself. But, you'll need the right tools. I used a radial arm saw with a dado blade, a router with a chamfer bit, and belt sander, primarily. After routing the edges I removed the remaining prefinished stain and polyuretane with the belt sander, restained, and spayed on a few coats of polyurethane. They really look nice.

To build a threshold to cover the 4" gap you'll need to use a 6" wide board. Then you'll need to undercut the tile side by 1/2" so the threshold will lay flat when installed. Once you undercut (I'd used my dado blade to do this) you can chamfer the top edges. After that you'd just need to find a suitable stain, stain it, then poly it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: