Sealing hardwood floor edges

Old 01-28-07, 09:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealing hardwood floor edges

I am in the process of replacing all the molding in my 65 year old house, which still has its original hardwood floor. I have no idea how the floor is attached to the subfloor, I don't see any nails but am not sure if "floating" was a technique used in 1939. I really want to be able to caulk the edges of the floor before putting in the new molding, is this safe to do?

Old 01-28-07, 09:30 PM
S
The fasteners that hold the wood to the floor are installed inside the tongue and groove so you won't see them. As for the caulk, I'm not really sure. The gap around the edge is for expansion and needs to be there. I don't see how caulk would interfere with that process, but I'm not a hardwood installer and there are others on this site who know a lot more about it who will probably chime in.

Old 01-29-07, 12:28 PM
Don't fill the gap!

That is what the trim, is meant to cover.

Old 01-29-07, 04:22 PM
S
Well, I need to do something, either I fill the gap or I seal around the molding - Southern California sits on one large Argentinian ant hill and I'll have the nasty little suckers coming up from the floor edges every time it rains. Been there. I can actually see daylight through one of the floor edges to where one of foundation vents is.

Old 01-29-07, 06:05 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Gap between wall and floor can be sealed with silicone caulk. While you are at it, look for any gaps or cracks into the structure and seal them.

For Argentine ant infestation, ant bait should be used where ants are seen. The bait gets carried back to the colony where it kills the relatives. Using insecticides will kill ants that come in contact with them, but not the ones in the colony.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0999/

Old 01-29-07, 07:54 PM
Even with molding in place, there is a gap?? Wow!

Yes, then seal that up, but don't fill the wood floorings, perimeter expansion gap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: