Laminate Floor installation in Kitchen

Old 01-28-07, 11:57 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laminate Floor installation in Kitchen

Our kitchen has Linoleum floor that my wife always complains that it is so hard to clean.

So I decided to install a floating Laminated floor (I am going to buy it from Costco) over this existing linoleum.

Do I need to install the place under dishwasher and electric stove?

It is easier to ignore these areas. But I am afraid that it may not be able to be taken out if the dishwasher is going to be replaced later, since the newly installed the laminate floor will block the diskwasher to be slided out of its under counter installation (the cound is solid surface that I am not going to replace it soon).

If you think to install the laminate under the dishwasher, how do I take out the dishwasher and stove?

The dishwash is 24" Bosh under-mounted.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may provide.

John

Old 01-29-07, 08:33 AM
S
The stove, unless it's built in, should come out easily. The dish washer should have adjustable legs. Check to see if they'll adjust up far enough to clear the new floor. My guess is, they will. Yes under the stove, no under the dish washer. But, if the thing ever develops a small leak, it'll ruin the whole floor before you discover it. Are you sure you want laminate in a kitchen? Tile or another layer of sheet vinyl would be a better choice.

Old 01-29-07, 11:45 AM
G
gsr
Space...

A lot will depend on how tight of a fit the dishwasher is. As mentioned the legs should be adjustable to give you some clearance. The is probably also a gap at the top so you can gain a little clearance there as well. I wouldn't put the flooring under the dishwasher but you will still need the clearance to take it out.

As for not using laminate in the kitchen that's up for debate. We have it in ours and I've never had a leak or problem. Some day it might happen but I'm willing to take that chance, I figure if I get a small leak that goes undetected long enough to ruin the floor, I can replace the damaged pieces and if it's bad enough the sub-floor will be damaged as well in which case I'd have to tear up the tile, linolium or whatever else I had down.

I don't have a Costco but make sure whatever you buy is of decent quality and has a good warranty (partially an indication of quality). It'll make the install easier and hold up much better.

Old 02-15-07, 12:44 PM
G
gt1
Hello.
What about laminate under the cabinets? Wouldn't heavy cabinets interfere with floating properties of the flooring?

Old 02-15-07, 01:19 PM
B
Floating Laminated Flooring

"So I decided to install a floating Laminated floor (I am going to buy it from Costco) over this existing linoleum."

Just a suggestion - the kitchen floor is one of the most used and abused in your entire home. Consumer Reports Magazine of 8/06 has a good article and rates kitchen flooring: laminate, vinyl, ceramic tile, etc. It states that the best brand laminate wears as well as wood, with better scratch, dent and sun resistance. We did our greatroom 4 yrs ago and used Wilsonart Estate Plus, approx. $5.50 sq ft installed. It is phenomenal! I can't say enough good about it, and we have two dogs that run and slide everywhere. Ease of cleaning, scuff marks, beauty, you name it. Buy the very best you can afford, because it cannot be refinished, and cheaper brands will scratch and wear quickly. Also, try to get a matte finish as opposed to a shiny one because the matte doesn't show minor damage. When I looked at some of the other brands I thought they looked like photocopies (which they really are), with Pergo being the worst.
BTW, it's really easy to install but you need to get/rent all the tools, especially the one ("Mechanics Helper" ??) that you need to put the last pieces in. And one other thing. Buy a rug runner to put in front of the kitchen sink, refrigerator and dishwasher.
Good luck

Old 02-20-07, 07:26 PM
H
Thanks for all the input you have provided. I do appreciate.

I found the legs are only adjusted to 1/4" max. (when the legs are all the way in). Fortunately, there is a space filler bar above the diswasher and underneath the solid surface counter top. One side of the bar was glued to the counter top and the other side was used to mount the dishwasher. I took it out and will trim it down so I could borrow some room from there. This part is set.

There is vinyl under the dishwasher. I am going to lay the laminated floor on top of this so that the floor is even and smooth. Anybody know there is any code restriction that NO laminated floor allowed?

The dishwasher is easier to slide in/out in the way I am going to do.

John

Old 02-20-07, 09:39 PM
S
I normally only go just under the toe kick to the dish washer because those things are normally hardwired and plumbed in and I don't want to mess with that. They're still fairly easy to get out if need be. As for code, I certainly hope not or I've caused a lot of folks some code problems if it's supposed to be under them.

Old 02-21-07, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by gt1 View Post
Hello.
What about laminate under the cabinets? Wouldn't heavy cabinets interfere with floating properties of the flooring?

YES they would interfere!!! absolutely DO NOT install kitchen cabinets on top of a FLOATING laminate floor, or else the floor won't be able to float (ie: MOVE, as in contraction & expansion). you will lock it in & it will buckle. install cabinets first, and then the laminate around them, leaving 1/4" expansion gap, and cover the gap with a quarter round trim.

Old 02-21-07, 09:17 PM
G
gt1
Annette, thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: