Kitchen Remodel & Floating Floor

Old 01-30-07, 06:33 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Remodel & Floating Floor

I am remodeling my kitchen. Gutted to the studs and the slab.
I will be installing engineered hardwood ( it is a product available at sams club similar to Laminate in installation , http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...989&pCatg=4728
). The slab will be covered with a foam/vapor barrier. I know you shouldn't put the cabinets on a floating floor, and plan to raise the cabinets on plywood so all will be the correct height.

My questions:

1) Should the vapor barrier be placed before any of this, or does it just go under the floating floor. If it goes down first. How do I keep from tearing it up while installing the cabinets, before the floor goes down?

2) as for the plywood under the cabinets. Should I attach it to the bottom of the cabinets or just float the plywood on the slab and place the cabinets on top of the plywood?

Old 02-09-07, 08:15 AM
T
WOW Thanks everyone for the quick responses

Old 02-09-07, 08:32 AM
now, now.....i'm sorry no one's helped you yet, but we're all volunteering our FREE advice here in our free spare time, so there's no need for that.

i'm not a flooring installer, but it would seem to me that a vapor barrier would need to go directly on top of the thing that's producing the vapors, to protect everything else from coming in contact with the vapors. so i'd go with cement slab, vapor barrier, then plywood & everything else.

i wouldn't want to nail through the vapor barrier, so i'd just float the plywood, set the cabinets on top of the plywood & let the cabinet weight hold the plywood down. attach cabinets to walls. nothing should shift anywhere, i wouldn't think, unless you & your friends are playing tackle football in there regularly.

sorry you didn't get a pro's answers, but maybe one will be so horrified with my potentially wrong advice, they'll chime in. that is, if you haven't already offended them.......

Old 02-09-07, 02:07 PM
You can put your plywood attached to the bottom of the cabinets, then use a plastic moisture barrier over that, so when you set the cabinet it is on the plastic

Old 02-17-07, 11:36 AM
T
Originally Posted by Annette
now, now.....i'm sorry no one's helped you yet, but we're all volunteering our FREE advice here in our free spare time, so there's no need for that.

i'm not a flooring installer, but it would seem to me that a vapor barrier would need to go directly on top of the thing that's producing the vapors, to protect everything else from coming in contact with the vapors. so i'd go with cement slab, vapor barrier, then plywood & everything else.

i wouldn't want to nail through the vapor barrier, so i'd just float the plywood, set the cabinets on top of the plywood & let the cabinet weight hold the plywood down. attach cabinets to walls. nothing should shift anywhere, i wouldn't think, unless you & your friends are playing tackle football in there regularly.

sorry you didn't get a pro's answers, but maybe one will be so horrified with my potentially wrong advice, they'll chime in. that is, if you haven't already offended them.......
Thanks, I din't think of that. If any part, either under the cabinets, or via bail hole was to comprimse the barrier. Than the barrier would not do its job

Old 02-17-07, 11:39 AM
T
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
You can put your plywood attached to the bottom of the cabinets, then use a plastic moisture barrier over that, so when you set the cabinet it is on the plastic
So, for example, if I had a base cabinet that was 30" wide, I would attach a 30 x 24 x 1/2" piece of plywood to the bottom of thee cabinet?

So so I put the whole vaper barrier down before the install? Or do I cut a piece, using the above example, 32" x 26 " and place the cabinet on that with the over lap sticking out so when I DO do the floor I can place addition vaper barrier over the rest of the floor, prior to the flooring?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: