Farmhouse wood floor

Old 01-30-07, 11:22 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Farmhouse wood floor

I am redoing the floor in my kitchen and we are going for a farmhouse look. Can I use 6 inch wide pine planks, painted, sealed and distressed? The kitchen is a high traffic area and we have kids so I was looking for a floor that we can beat the heck out of without worrying about damage and replacement. Has anyone tried this before?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 02:50 PM
F
I'll jump on board since no one else has at this point. You can install whatever you want in your kitchen. I will say that of all of the wood floors you can choose, you've probably chosen the wood that is the weakest and since you want something that can withstand the heavy traffic of a family in an area that is probably one of the most traveled rooms, I'm wondering why you chose pine. And to paint it, too?? Not sure why you would want to do that. It seems to me that if you paint the flooring but you know it will have high traffic, the paint may wear off or wear thin in the areas of the kitchen with the most traffic.

Why not go with a nice hardwood, like oak. You can still have a farmhouse theme with natural hardwood like oak that can withstand heavy traffic and still look great.

I think the distressed look is a good idea with whatever you choose. I have this in my living and dining rooms and you can knick it up all you want and it doesn't look any worse so for your high traffic kitchen, this would be a good choice.

fsufan8

Old 01-30-07, 02:59 PM
T
Saw a picture in a decorating book last night of a restored farmhouse. It had the original wood planks with all the dents and character of over a hundred years. The wood was oak and stained dark.

Neither pine nor paint will hold up to the wear and tear on wood floors in an active household. If you want to start out with some character, perhaps a lower grade wood like #2 common would provide you a good start on character and at a lower price point. Then, you can stain or leave natural and apply polyurethane finish.

For wood finishing info go to www.nofma.org and click Publications to download for free the National Oak Flooring Manufacturers technical manual on finishing wood floors.