Squeaky floor

Old 01-31-07, 09:29 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky floor

I'm about to have a new laminate flooring installed in my kitchen. However, before it is installed, I think it would be wise to try to fix a couple squeaky places in the floor. A couple questions along those lines:

I've read that putting some additional screws between the flooring and the joists is a pretty effective way to get rid of the squeaks. Does this sound correct? Do I need any special kind of screws (I'm thinking of just using 2" drywall screws)

The plan is to leave the current vinyl flooring in place, and to install the new laminate on top of that. The people at the flooring place said this is recommended, but it seems to me that it would be better to remove the old flooring first. Any comments?

If I do leave the existing vinyl floor there, is it okay to just put the screws through it to solve the squeaks?

Thanks,
Brandon Checketts

Old 02-01-07, 08:05 AM
Yes, by all means fix the problem now rather then attempt to do so after the flooring is down.

I've never liked using Dry-Wall screws when used on flooring because they tend to spin-out very easily. I've always had good luck with 2 1/2 inch decking screws with a Roberts head (i.e. square). However, if your using a single speed drill and bit, please be careful because decking screws do tend to bite and, you may find yourself plunging them to deeply into the substrate / sub-floor.

If you suspect that the resilient flooring MAY contain Asbestos then DO NOT TAKE-UP it up. As a rule of thumb - Most resilient floors manufactured prior to 1984 contain Asbestos.

FYI: Most of the larger hardware stores sell DIY Asbestos testing kits.

Old 02-01-07, 12:31 PM
It is perfectly Ok and normal, to go over existing sheet vinyl, with a floating floor.

Old 02-01-07, 12:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Likes on 1,136 Posts
I use drywall screws with the square head. Length is determined by what's underneath - if you have joists, I'd use the 2 or 2 1/2" screws, if you have floor trusses (not as likely), a shorter screw like a 1 5/8" will be as long as you need. Make sure you're standing directly over the spot that squeaks when you put the screw in to get the surfaces as close together as possible.

Old 02-01-07, 07:45 PM
B
Thanks for the input

Thanks to everybody for the input. The flooring guys are coming tomorrow, so I'll be working on this tonight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: