How to repair delaminating board

Old 02-01-07, 11:26 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to repair delaminating board

I noticed that one board on my engieerd oak floor has a loose veneer layer. Only about 3 inches appears to be lifting up in the middle of the board. I need to fix it before someone trips over it and makes it worse. The floor is glued down, so replacing the board is probably out of the question. How can I fix this? This floor is less than a year old, but I'll bet making a waranty claim would be a nightmare.

Old 02-01-07, 11:48 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your warranty. You want it on record that you reported a delamination issue. If delamination is secondary to DIY installation, jobsite conditions or care and maintenance issues, warranty is likely voided. If delamination is due to a manufacturing defect, whether repair or replacement is done by your installer or you, you want it on record at the retailer in case other boards delaminate.

Is this a glue down job over concrete? Moisture issues?

Old 02-01-07, 12:07 PM
M
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post

Is this a glue down job over concrete? Moisture issues?
It was a DIY installation, but I was extra careful to do everything as the mfg directed and took lot of photo's along the way. I did the moisture test they recommended (taped down plastic for 24 hours). I don't believe that ther is a moisture issue. I Since I'm in New Mexico I actually bought a humidifier to maintain the recommended humidity.

I really believe it's a defective board. I will let them know, just for the record. They may even agree to pay for the repair. If I have to do it myself, how do I do it?

Old 02-01-07, 01:46 PM
M
Worthless Warranty - I'm On My Own

Just checked the Warranty:

LIMITED 30yr STRUCTURAL WARRANTY

Westhollow's engineered flooring construction helps control expansion and contraction caused by seasonal changes in humidity and temperature. This process takes each piece of wood and permanently bonds them under high pressure and heat. This type of construction makes one of the most durable hardwood floors on the market. If our floor should ever have separation and or have delamination between the ply layers in a normal maintained humidity range, Westhollow® will at our option, repair the board or boards, replace the board or boards that are effected.

The warranty is pretty much worthless in this case. The easiest thing for them to do is replace the board. That doesn't help me much ( I've already got a couple of boxes of boards.)

I know I'm going to have to glue the wear layer back down. The question is how and with what kind of glue?

Has anyone out there done this before?

Last edited by mrpb; 02-01-07 at 01:49 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 02-01-07, 05:27 PM
Get a vet syringe, and load it with TiteBond II(found in the paint section at HD & Lowes)

Don't go crazy, or it will ooze out everywhere, then when you weight it down, it sticks your weight to the floor!!!! Yikes!!

If it wants to ooze, get as much out as you possibly can, cleaning it up. Once you tink it has quit oozing, Clean and quickly put blue painter tape over the joint edges where it was oozing, then weight it down.

Old 02-02-07, 11:47 AM
M
Smile

CDW,

I'll get the TiteBond after work tonight.

Thanks - I appreciate your help.

Old 02-19-07, 02:52 PM
M
CDW,

I finally made time to come back and tell you - this worked very well. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: