Help Installing Stair Nosing! :)

Old 02-04-07, 11:21 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Installing Stair Nosing! :)

Hello - I am about halfway done installing 1000sf of T&G prefinished vertical carbonized bamboo planks. It's looking great!

My question: I am installing a matching stair nosing, and I want to attach it without nailing through the top. The stair nosing has a groove on the back side of it, so I have to put it on last - IE lay the floor up to it, then put the stair nose on. I can't nail down at an angle into the back edge.

Can I glue it? I've been also thinking about taking off the plywood on the riser and screwing it from underneath. Any other great ideas? What is standard?

Thank you!!

Old 02-04-07, 05:10 PM
Anytime a stair is involved, I try my best to start off of it, unless the boards are going to butt into it.

Use a spline/slip tongue to mate with the nosing.

Use urethane adhesive, and glue the nosing down and stay off for a complete day. You may need to weight it down.

I always glue and top nail my nosings, as that is standard proceedure.

Old 02-04-07, 05:13 PM
J
How do you generally top-nail them? Especially if it's pre-finished - the putty I've been using on top-nailed boards near walls doesn't look very good.

Thanks!

Old 02-05-07, 06:30 AM
I use a small brad nail, just to hold it inplace so the adhesive can set up. It is a tiny hole, that I fill with color matching wood filler. I mix colors of filler to get it very close. Finish in a nail polish bottle to apply over the small spot of filler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: