Preparing to install Laminate Flooring

Old 02-04-07, 01:04 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preparing to install Laminate Flooring

We live on a concrete slab. I have removed the old ceramic tiles from the entryway and still have some hills from the old adhesive on the concrete. I have been using a large screwdriver and hammer. My right arm and shoulder are really sore from removing the old tiles and some of the adhesive. The house was built in 1957 and we belive this was the original entryway floor. Is there an easier way to remove this stuff without making a big mess of the whole house?

Thanks.

Larry E

Old 02-04-07, 01:44 PM
B
Removing tile

I have found that a brick chisel works great on smaller tile (4 to 6"). They are hardened steel with about a 4" blade. They'll do fine even on the thinset. If the tile is larger (12 to 18"), there is a standup model floor scraper that has a weight on the handle. This weight slides up and down the handle to make an impact on a striker plate which is welded to the handle and transmits the impact to the blade. Good luck with the sore muscles the next day for any repetitive type work !

Old 02-04-07, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And there's no avoiding the mess. Hang some plastic barrier wrap where you can to prevent any possible dust. If dust is the issue, spray the old thinset with some water.

Old 02-04-07, 05:14 PM
That's why they call it work!!! Welcome to my world.

Spud bar!!!

Don't cut any corners! Get it all off and do it right.

Old 02-04-07, 05:45 PM
E
If you go the route of using a hammer drill with a scraper, you'll need to probably patch a few holes where the concrete got chipped. I used a bosch hammer drill and broke up the ceramic tile from my 8 X 8 entrance foyer in about 2 hours. Yes cleanup is a big mess. Don't fill your garbage too high or it will be impossible to move or lift. Good luck.

Old 02-04-07, 06:35 PM
L
Thanks for the input. Will be stopping by Home Depot tomorrow as they have a 3 or 3 1/2 inch brick chisel for a reasonable price. Will also use it to get mortar off of some stonework flowerbeds outside so we can reuse the stones.

Larry E.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: