Basketball gloss wood floor finish

Old 02-10-07, 10:35 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basketball gloss wood floor finish

I own a 120 year young house with wood floors throught. I want to get that super shiny look. any suggestions?

Steve

Old 02-11-07, 02:37 AM
K
Super shiny will accentuate every irregularity and groove in the flooring. Okay?

Rented the floor polisher and got a smooth floor? On to the finishing:

1) Clean every speck of dust out of the room. Vacuum the entire floor even if it seems clean. Wipe it with a damp cloth. Wipe the walls. Wipe the ceilings (no kidding). Plug all vents. Change into clean clothes and, barefoot, vacuum again. Use a clean vacuum, pad the wheels and nozzle with masking tape if they scrape.

2) Use traditional gloss polyurethane. Not "water based polyurethane", nor fast drying, low-odour, nor any other gimmick. Slow-drying is an asset here. Nasty and extended fuming during cure means it's a pure polyurethane doing what it should. We value a quality finish over a quick and easy job.

3) Other things you'll need include:

bright light,
pile of newspaper,
brush cleaner (Polyclens) or other method,
paint roller frame with extension (most broom handles have the appropriate thread),
short nap roller sleeve,
a brush.

About brushes. Sash brushes handle best, the way you'll be working. It should be wider than a floor board. The silkier the better. Be prepared to spend a bit here. I get better results with a synthetic brush labeled "for latex paints", not with a prickly natural bristle brush recommended for solvent based applications.

4) Stir the can contents, don't shake. We want to minimize bubbles. Stir right down to the bottom. If this is not done sufficiently, the last bit from the can will show markedly less glossy.

5) Pour a fair trickle of poly along the length of a floor board, about half a roller's width from the wall. Just place the dripping can direct on the floor nearby - no harm spilling any on the floor now. Immediately spread this along with the roller. All we want the roller for is roughly spreading the poly, and getting all the wood wetted. Place the roller down on the floor.

6) With the brush, gently run over the lengths of the boards. This takes off any bubbles, and evens out the coat. One long stroke (walking crouched) is best, so you leave no lifting/setting marks. I run along the joint of two boards, then a full board, then the next joint, and so on. That way I miss nothing and don't get confused either. I reposition the roller as a visual aid, like a finger noting lines read on a page.

When rollering, careful not to cover more than you can reach with the brush. For me, that's about 1' wide. Otherwise I'm stretching too far for comfort or stepping on the poly.

A bright light shining across the floor helps to show blips, hairs, etc.

The work proceeds pretty quickly. I haven't found a better way to finish a wood floor, but wouldn't mind learning something new, despite my essay.

Old 02-11-07, 11:27 PM
S
Thanks, you're hired!

What a pleasant surprise to get such a complete and honest reply to my question. You confirmed what I have been told but tried to escape: the more fumes, the better the shine.

I will kick everybody out of the house for 2 days before I start just to keep the floors clean and proceed from there.

Thanks for AMAZING reply,

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: