Solving a Hardwood Floor Mystery

Old 02-15-07, 11:15 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solving a Hardwood Floor Mystery

Hi,
First of all sorry this is so long!
I would be very appreciative of anyone who could offer advice. My husband and I had engineered hardwood floors layed over our entire house, except kitchen and bathrooms when we moved into this house 1 year and a half ago. We hired someone to do it, and now in hindsite we think they just used the git-it-done approach. Doubt they did a moisture test, or much surface prep. And unfortunately we didn't know any better. Last summer I noticed some water damage bubbling through the floors in the very middle of our house. Well, I just stained a massive red oak wall unit, and painted the room, so I thought it was from a water spill that I made. So they came out and replaced that section of flooring. Then the bubbling came back WORSE. The finish was actually bubbling up through the top. When my husband started pulling the floor up we saw the floor had molded from underneath. Their were also what looked like slight water mineral disposits on the slab. The area encompasses about 6' x 5'. We hired someone to come out with a moisture meter, and he found very few other moisture areas under the floors. He seemed to think this is an isolated problem. We live in TX and were under serious drought when the water damage conditions first arose, so then we thought it must be a leak. So then we hired a plumber to test the lines, and we are clear, we have no under the slab leak. Now the flooring is off the patch and we can see no water. We have a moisture kit from lowes, but the heater is running constantly right now drying out the air and everything else, so not sure it would be an accurate slab test. We are stumped, there is a small hole in the concrete and we can see that there is a moisture barrier underneath, although not very far down. All we know to do at this point is put some kind of sealer down on this patch of concrete, replace the floor and hope for the best. Any kind of overall floor replacement we would not really be able to afford as we have a baby on the way. Again any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 02-15-07, 02:32 PM
O
What about tile?

Old 02-15-07, 07:10 PM
T
Too late

We already have ~1500 sq ft of wood floors put down 2 years ago. Couldn't afford to redo it.

Old 02-16-07, 12:16 AM
J
Smile Best sealer to use

I'm not a plumber so I can't offer advice as to why you have the water vapor coming up, esp. if you had a plumber out to inspect and he found no leaks. I live in Dallas, Tx, so it is hard for me to guess as to the cause of this because I too am familiar with the summer droughts we go through. I do know you do need to seal you slab, however. Don't go with a product from Lowe's - LastiSeal by RadonSeal is the best concrete/masonary sealer there is PEROID - it penetrates very deep and closes up all the concrete's capillaries. My parents had a concrete problem and I did tons of reasearch as to the sealer that would work the best and I found LastiSeal and can't say enough positive things about it. It can't be found in stores, but here is the link which also gives you tons of information about it
http://www.radonseal.com/concrete-sealers/lastiseal.htm
Hope this helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: