Tiny gaps around door frames

Old 02-17-07, 03:06 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiny gaps around door frames

I just completed my first ever laminate installation and I am very happy with the results. I put in Wilsonart classic planks. I did my best to cut to fit the laminate to the door frames using a saber saw. I have one or two areas where there's a 1/4 '' gap between the laminate and the door frame. I can't use quarter round there, so do I caulk that gape?

Old 02-17-07, 03:29 PM
S
It sounds as if it's too late now, but the door jambs are normally undercut so the laminate can slide under them to avoid the gap you mention. It has to have a quarter inch gap every where around it for expansion and contraction. If you didn't undercut the door jambs and you've got it cut tight to them, you'll be fixing it later any how so you may as well take care of it now and redo the door ways.

Old 02-17-07, 09:52 PM
In the specific instructions, it mentions to undercut all fixed obsticals that will not get trim molding, like doorjambs.

Remove the flooring at the jambs and undercut the door frams and jambs and also back into the baseboards about an inch or so.

Old 02-18-07, 04:49 PM
E
I don't think I'll be able to get those peices out. The laminate is all down and I don't want to risk damaging the surrounding laminate trying to replace the pieces that I undercut. Could I fill those tiny gaps with caulk or so sort of liqid wood filler ? Any ideas or recommndations ?

Old 02-18-07, 10:48 PM
S
If you've cut any of the laminate tight to the door jambs, it isn't going to matter that you don't want to deal with them correctly, you'll be dealing with them, like it or not, when the issues begin manifesting. If you've got a quarter inch gap on all of them, you may be OK for expansion, but not if you fill the gap. You'll defeat the purpose. Most doors are up off the floor some. I'd figure out a way to trim to hide rather than fill. You need that space for expansion. One way to deal with the issue is to cut one of the problem boards down the center of it and lift out the two pieces. This will allow you to remove the remaining pieces, undercut the jambs and trim, and install new material, properly cut. You can install transition pieces in the door way or glue the final joint.

Old 02-22-07, 08:10 AM
J
Something else to try

Originally Posted by eman7911 View Post
I just completed my first ever laminate installation and I am very happy with the results. I put in Wilsonart classic planks. I did my best to cut to fit the laminate to the door frames using a saber saw. I have one or two areas where there's a 1/4 '' gap between the laminate and the door frame. I can't use quarter round there, so do I caulk that gape?
Eman-
I understand your hesitation to pull up some single pieces (as suggested by another poster). Here's another suggestion:

Remove your door-jambs. Then trace the existing edge of the tile, so you can cut a small tile to butt up against the existing tile, and still leave 1/4" on the other side (so it's 1/4" from the wall, but will be UNDER the jamb).

Use white-glue on the edge-only (don't let it get on the floor). then put a wedge between the tile and the wall to press the small piece against the existing piece. Make sure you wipe any glue that seeps out with a warm paper towel, so it doesn't leave any permanent stains.

Buy some caulking (or other colored filler) that matches the color/patern of the floor. Use this to fill any imperfections you had in your cut piece.

Good luck.
-jmp

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: