Laminate Floor in Sunken Room w/ Tile on Edge

Old 02-19-07, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate Floor in Sunken Room w/ Tile on Edge

I have a 20x15 sunken room I want to replace the carpet with laminate floor. The floor plan is very open and one 20 ft side steps up directly into the kitchen which is tile up to the step edge. Another side steps up to the foyer with is also tile to the edge. What is the proper way to install laminate up the sides of the sunken area (step is about 6 inches). Stairnose would leave a gap down to the tile. I also thought about maybe baseboard or maybe even tile and just the laminate on the bottom floor.

I've laid laminate before at my old house, but this sunken room situation is new to me and I'd appreciate any advise.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-07, 11:13 PM
How you deal with it is really a matter of what look you want. You have a few options, as you've already hinted at. You could just continue the tile over the edge and down to the laminate. If that's the option you choose, I'd suggest doing it after the laminate is done so the tile and backer board will lip over the laminate to hide the edge of the laminate. You could cut the tile back far enough to accommodate a stair nose on the edge and install laminate on the face. You could finish the edge of the tile, paint the face, and install base afterward. I'm sure there are other options, but I'm sure you get the point. Let us know how you decide to proceed and then we can better advise.

Old 02-20-07, 12:30 PM
I'm leaning towards extending the baseboard around through the step up area such that it matches the wall.

I didn't install the tile, so I don't have any extra tile and I lack tile cutting equipment. I am worried about wear with people kicking the baseboard on the step up.

Old 02-20-07, 05:54 PM
I use my side grinder with a diamond dry cut tile blade a LOT for tile work. You could hire a tile installer to cut the edge of the tile back and install some sort of transition or bull nose to finish the edge so you can paint up to it, or you could invest in the aforementioned tool, do it yourself, and have a really useful tool when you're done for less than an installer will charge. I don't see any issue with your choice in finishing the area, It should look fine and work well.