Transition strips

Old 02-21-07, 05:35 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Transition strips

I am going to be installing the Quickstep Perspective 4 laminate in three rooms. The first room is a family room (19' x 24'), second 1/2 bath (6' x 5'), and a laundry room (7' x 8'). The bath and laundry are adjoining the family room, each by a 30" wide doorway. I know that its recommended by the manufacturer to install transition strips, in the doorways, but is it necessary. I would like to have a continous floor without the strips. Also with the half bath and laundry what precautions or steps should I take in case of water leaks.

Old 02-21-07, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wamacks
I know that its recommended by the manufacturer to install transition strips, in the doorways, but is it necessary.
is it necessary? yes, so you don't void your warranty. but if you don't care about the warranty, the answer is still yes. i've read here that small doorways need the strip, whereas wider openings dont. you'll have gaps form without the strip. the small openings can't handle the "stress" of the 2 rooms being connected there, each room expanding/contracting differently.

as for the future leaks, the only precaution would be to choose a solid vinyl laminate made for wet areas or ceramic tile or sheet vinyl instead. leaks will ruin most any floor and/or subfloor. the occasional splash just needs to be wiped up immediately.

Last edited by Annette; 02-21-07 at 11:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: