Pets and Wood or Laminate flooring

Old 02-21-07, 08:59 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pets and Wood or Laminate flooring

Hi - I have two dogs and a cat and I want to replace wall-to-wall carpeting with wood or laminate flooring. I don't know which would be best considering the pets --both because of claws -and because of the occasional accident . ..
Any comment/advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-21-07, 12:08 PM
both are very slippery for pets to walk/run on, both can be scratched and both can be damaged by water/liquids. that's why Veterinarians use sheet vinyl in their offices.

that said, there are some solid vinyl laminates made for wet areas, but of course, they're expensive. 2 brands are Amtico and iCore.

generally though, laminates have a teflon-type super hard finish that resists scratches probably better than wood floors and is very easy to clean. wood floors require a little more care than laminates, and are more expensive but can be refinished and add value to your home.

lots of factors to weigh.

Old 02-21-07, 08:19 PM
A
yep, lots of factors...

a big one seems to be personal preference - search the forum for 'hardwood dogs' and you'll find lots of posts.

I have 3 german shepherds, and I'm doing hardwood. They WILL scratch the floor, and I'd rather refinish it than rip it up and replace it in a couple years. Besides, I'd rather have scratched up hardwood than laminate... it would drive me insane looking at a scratched up piece of laminate floor.

accidents - don't let them happen? I know, not a good answer : ) I found that when I removed the dirt trap (carpet) my little accident prone one stopped having those once a week 'accidents'. I'm convinced she did it because the 3 year old carpet held the dirt and she could smell it (I've had a kirby and a dyson - the carpet was still dusty when I took it up).

Old 02-22-07, 09:27 AM
C
Thanks for information - I will search for hardwood dogs -- Yeah, accidents Previous owners had pets and that started the problem -gotta mark the territory. We got that one, pretty much and now, one of my dogs is incontinent. I am working with the vet to find the right meds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: