Do I need to Caulk around edge of Laminate floor?

Old 02-22-07, 08:18 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to Caulk around edge of Laminate floor?

I put a laminate floor (Dupont: Real Touch Elite) in my kitchen. I bought if from Home Depot, and they also sold me 3 tubes of silicone caulk, which they said I need to put around the edge to keep spilled water from seeping under it.

Any validity to this? If so, can you give details of how/where/how much, etc?

Thanks.
-jmp

Old 02-22-07, 10:40 AM
R
You go around the entire floor edge. You put the tube(10.5oz?)in a caulking gun and fill the gap with the caulk. Fill it all the way to the top of the floor. Remove any excess by sliding a piece of waste flooring , on edge, over the top of the caulk. Clean up any smears with paint thinner as you go. If it gets hard you will need to scrape it off with a razor.
This is very valid. liquid that spills into this opening can ruin the floor and void the warranty. This advice should also be listed in the flooring directions as very important.
Ron

Old 02-22-07, 03:41 PM
our laminate flooring directions said to do that, too.

follow your directions!

Old 02-22-07, 08:12 PM
I have seen it cause more problems then it solves!!

Your basically gluing the floor in. The floor no longer is able to float. Looses a little moisture content and shrinks and guess what happens.

I have also cut it out to relax a buckle.

Old 02-23-07, 08:25 AM
i would've thought it was flexible enough that the floor could still have the movement it needs. also, we didn't put the caulk anywhere except right on the edge of the last plank. we didn't "glue" it TO anything.

i guess just be sure to not put so much caulk that it would interfere with movement. just enough of a lip to keep water from running over the edge & finding its way underneath the floor.

Old 02-25-07, 07:51 AM
L
The instructions that I got online for my Alloc tile said to put down a piece of weatherstripping then silicon caulk on top of that to fill the gap.

Larry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: