Flooring stapler recommendations

Old 02-23-07, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flooring stapler recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations on flooring staplers for engineered hardwood? I am considering the Senco SLS20HF, Porta-Nails 461, and Bostitch LHF97125. They are all approximately the same price so I would like to get the best tool.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-07, 12:02 PM
Spot Nailer.

In today world of engineered flooring with thicknesses greater then the old 3/8, you need a longer fastener then the 1" long, those guns are capable of. " is pushing the capabilities of a 1" fastener driven at a 45 angle.

You need at least 1" for todays thicker boards.

Old 02-23-07, 12:43 PM
I'm installing an 3/8" thick Anderson engineered oak floor. The recommended minimum staple length is 1". It states so in their installation instructions and I even called them to verify. Of course I can use a longer staple, however, I am stapling into 5/8" thick Advantech OSB sheathing laid over Delta FL poly. I don't want to puncture the Delta FL. With a 1" staple I am fine provided I don't crank the psi and bury the staple into the tongue too deep. With a 1-1/4" or larger I risk puncture. I just want to know which one of those staplers is the best.

I am leaning towards the Porta-Nails 461 as it will accept 1-1/4" long staples as well. I would like to redo the floor in my kitchen in the future. This would give me more flexibility as I could select either a 3/8" thick or 1/2" thick board and still be okay. I don't know much about Porta-Nails other than that they are in North Carolina. The few reviews I have read of the product are all 100% positive.

Last edited by cycloxer13; 02-23-07 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-02-07, 07:55 AM
fwiw, I went with the Bostitch LHF97125-2 Floor Runner which uses 1" staples. My local flooring shop carries the staples and rents out this unit. I bought my own as I plan to install several floors. It is supposedly a decent unit and very compact so it can fit in places like closets and entry ways where the larger guns cannot.

Old 03-02-07, 08:51 AM
I just got a chance to do a magizine article on the HighPro AS-4090, just this past week.

One sweet gun.
I'll be retiring my Senco.

The HighPro, is capable of stapling flooring from 5/16 up to 5/8. It will shoot 1", 1" & 1" -- " crown, 18gauge staples.