Pricing .97cents/Can I do it?

Old 02-24-07, 08:36 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pricing .97cents/Can I do it?

Hey everyone,

This site is a HUGE help so far but I'm pretty anxious about this whole laminate floor thing. I just bought a house and don't really have the money to redo the LR/DR floor but the carpet that is in there is really bad. I do have to do this as inexpensively as possible but I have read the written words...you get what you pay for!! Unfortunately, I'm going to get cheap. I have been on a website Lumber Liquidators. They seem to be selling laminate flooring at .97cents...Since this store is more than an hour away from me I don't have the luxury of just zipping in there to look at this stuff. Is it really going to be bad?
That was ? one...
This is ? two...my house is older, it's settled, it isn't exactly even/flat...am I being an idiot for even thinking about putting down laminate and last but not least, even with some of the semi horror stories I have read, can one female actually do this by herself???
Would I better off price wise, aggravation wise and time wise to just go with carpeting??
Thanks for any help!!!

Old 02-26-07, 07:27 AM
There are a lot of problems with the LL laminate.

Dark gray spots that grow in size, appearing over time on random planks. The surface layer is defective. Bubble right under the top, burst with foot traffic, leaving little microscopic holes/craters, that trap dirt, making it look gray.

Old 02-27-07, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=casaosa] >>> Is it really going to be bad?

CDW answered that one.

>>> it isn't exactly even/flat...am I being an idiot for even thinking about putting down laminate

you're not an idiot, but if the subfloor isn't darn near perfectly flat, all your hard work will be for nothing. the floor won't sit nice & flat, so it'll have movement, which will crack the tongue & groove connections, the planks will separate, and then the edges will chip off. in other words, total flooring failure. total waste of your time. total waste of money. back to square one.

>>> can one female actually do this by herself???

yes - just ask DIYaddict!!!

>>> Would I better off price wise, aggravation wise and time wise to just go with carpeting??

unless you're willing to spend more money on some higher-quality/more expensive product, and put the time & effort into leveling your subfloor, i would recommend recarpeting.

Old 02-27-07, 07:46 PM
C
Thanks for your input!!

I really appreciate your knowledge that is out there and the willingness to share it on this site! I'm going with carpet and will attempt a laminate floor in one of my spare bedrooms instead of in a major 2 rooms!! Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: