Hopefully a quick question... hardwood meets exterior door

Old 02-26-07, 02:40 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully a quick question... hardwood meets exterior door

ok... I think I've found answers to most of my questions... I have a couple points I'm still trying to understand. I've searched the forums, but not really found exactly what I'm looking for...

1) The flooring will start (first row) on a wall with an exterior atrium door (french door, only half moves) - how do you usually lay the wood when it's next to the door? I saw in an earlier post that some people use a 'baby threshold' - while I found some images of this, I didn't really understand how it all fit together...

and... the easy one...

2) speaking in pneumatic nailer terms... what's the difference between hardwood flooring nails and hardwood flooring cleats?

Old 03-18-07, 07:23 PM
A
I realized a couple pics might help... I snapped these last night, but they are a bit blurry. Still - it might help show what I'm talking about

Obviously the trim will come off... wonder-bar will take care of that without pain. But I still don't know - should I just push the first row right up next to the door? That worries me a bit... no room for expansion (it's ohio, we have humid summers...)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/shenika_photos/DSCN1932.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/shenika_photos/DSCN1931.jpg

Old 03-18-07, 07:45 PM
Undercut the side trim of the doorcasing at the bottom so the flooring will slide underneath. The board cut to go underneath, with come out in front of the door threshold, about an inch. The endcap / baby threshold is then modified on both ends. The portion that goes downward, up next to the doors threshold, is notched so it clears the little amount of flooring you left out into the doorway on the flooring board that is slid under the doorjamb trim.

If you don't do that, you will have a hole between the trim and the flooring at each side.

Old 03-18-07, 08:47 PM
A
Thank you so much for the response!

Recognize - I'm a bit of a ditz... I read that 3 times before I realized that when you said to undercut the door casing, you meant the trim (running up and down) and not the kick plate thingy... Lol - I was thinking 'doesn't seem like I should cut the bottom of the door frame off, but ok, if you say so, I'll go with it' : ) haha - so... I've got that part now... I have a pull saw in the garage that'll take care of that trim, or I can just pull it down and take it off a bit.

Now... the baby threshold / endcap - I googled that, I think I've seen them at lowe's when looking at prefinished flooring... I had a piece in the garage from a different project. I'm a little confused about the notching... I think the end cap is going to be less wide than a strip of flooring (at least, the particle board piece I have here is about half the width of the sample floor I have...).

soo... notch... where? : )

I don't want to use quarter round, so I'm pulling all the trim, and taking a blade to the bottom of the dry wall (so I can caulk that exterior wall for my own piece of mind, and so I can get a little closer to the 'wall' with the flooring (I figured I can keep my gap from the 2x4 that's under there, and ignore the drywall : )

Doh - only took a second to pull that trim (love my wonder-bar!)... here's a pic of some scrap pieces...

interesting... the drywall is pretty much dead on flush with the door frame... don't know if that matters at all?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t28/shenika_photos/DSCN1936.jpg

Old 03-19-07, 09:11 AM
Taking the trim off does make it easier!!! now no undercutting.

Just as your scrap is sitting there. That is how far to make your notch in the flooring to make it under your modified endcap trim. Then rip the flooring to allow expansion space under the over lapping lip on the endcap.

Now to modify the endcap. The leg that goes downward against the doors threshold. On the ends notch it up and even with the bottom of the outward leg.

Picture: http://i-boards.com/bnp/fci/images/messages/MVC-012S_11.JPG

Old 03-19-07, 01:28 PM
A
dude, you rock!

ok... I'm almost completely there... the only difference I'm seeing between your example and my implementation is that my flooring will run the other direction (perpendicular to my joists). But I think I get the idea - I just didn't see how it would work (rounding the end cap totally changes things in my mind

Sooo... unless I'm missing something, just one more question - what is the difference between cleats and nails?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: