Newbie: options for covering 3/4 parquet over slab

Old 02-28-07, 12:45 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie: options for covering 3/4 parquet over slab

Hi there, great site! I have been reading through threads that say to never cover hardwood (in my case 3/4" oak parquet) glued to slab, with laminate.

I currently have 3/4" oak parquet glued down to my slab. House was built in '50's (Florida) and I assume the cutback adhesive (black tar looking substance) contains at least some asbestos, therefore, I do not want to disturb the floor. Refinishing is not an option because much of the floors around the perimeter of the house have significant termite damage, that i plan to patch with plywood.

Thus my question is, what are my options for covering this old ratty parquet, besides carpet (I have a 100 lbs american bulldog) if I can't do laminate and I cannot remove the floor? Will engineered hardwood be ok?

I'd rather do a nail down, as I dont like working with glue. Any ideas or suggestions? thanks to all on this site!

Old 02-28-07, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could remove that old asbestos adhesive (if it even has asbestos) if you keep it wet while you are taking it up. You could get a face mask as well. The cost of a professional abaitment(sp?) to clean that up would be crazy. We would be talking hundreds of $$$ an hour at least. You could also take a piece of that adhesive and have it tested. Call your cities health department to find out the procedures.

This asbestos will not kill you or really hurt you with only the job you are doing if you take the necessary safety precautions.

The reason you don't want to lay down laminate over existing wood is the expansion rates. The current floor will expand and contract to much and cause the new floor to seperate.

I would say the only option is to pull that old flooring up.

Old 02-28-07, 09:09 PM
M
thats the only option to pull it up? what about an engineered product?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: