Fireplace ideas

Old 03-05-07, 07:22 AM
Y
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fireplace ideas

I am looking at installing laminate flooring in some areas that meet with a brick wall (for fireplace) and carpet so I wanted to understand how to handle the required gap. I have searched these forums and done some reading. Here are my options:

1. Undercut the brick wall. I don't think I can handle the difficulty so I rule it out.
2. Quarter round glued to brick wall. I don't like the idea but seems most cost effective and my wife doesn't mind it.
3. T-Molding. Just like the doors, I am thinking about installing the track next to the fireplace and putting a T-molding flush with the wall allowing floor to slide underneath (this is my own idea).
4. Endcap molding. I looked at the Lowes 4-in-1 molding pack and they do address the problem with an "endcap" molding but they tell you not to install the track and put it down with some silicone caulk or something. I could not open the package so I don't exactly know how this works.
5. Custom molding. I don't know where, I don't know how, so I am ruling it out.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions to weigh in favor of one or the other approach?

As far as carpet is concerned, it is at the same level as the laminate, so I am thinking about T-Molding there too.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-07, 04:53 PM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as where the carpet will meet the laminate...I would use a square nose. T-molds are typically used for laminate to laminate (same flooring to flooring).

Old 03-08-07, 12:36 PM
Y
I spoke to a Lowe's flooring guy and he told me the same. I have bought a three in one molding that has (what I believe is) a square nose molding (you snap on the square nose on a T-molding). I would be using that for the carpet transition.

I have purchased some quarter round for the fireplace since the above mentioned person told me it would be tricky to install T-molding around the fireplace wall as I had intended. Quarter round should be a straightforward glue on the wall and should save me a lot of time.

Old 03-25-07, 02:03 PM
M
mcm
I am about to do a similar thing w/ hardwood meeting a brick fireplace. I plan on leaving a substantial gap between flooring and brick, and using large (2" wide, brick height) baseboarding with a rounded top edge, though using a decorative wood rather than MDF such that it can be stained. I've seen this done in another home and it looks very nice with a strong/thick border around the brick.

Something like this:

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2420/untitledhf7.png

(red = brick, orange = subfloor, brown = flooring, green = baseboard/bordering)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: