Hardwood Floor at Exterior Door

Old 03-19-07, 09:36 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor at Exterior Door

I am installing 3/4 solid hardwood in my bedroom. I have an exterior french door. The way I am laying the boards the end of the boards will butt into the door. I was thinking of running one board paralell with the door and tongueing the boards into it rather that just butting them into the door threshold so if I ever have water problem under or around the door maybe I could get lucky enough to only have to replace the one board instead of the ends of all of them. My question is, Should I use something such as a baby threshold between the board that I am running paralell with the door in case of expansion or just leave a 1/4 of so gap and fill with colored calk or just butt the board that is paralell with the door up against the door threshold and tongue the other boards into it and not worry about it as the wood is not supposed to expand lengthways anyway.

Old 03-19-07, 11:22 PM
S
As far as I know boards can swell and indeed grow lengthwise. While most swelling, contraction or warping is side to side, swelling can increase board area in all directions.

If it was my installation, I would run one board or half board, your preference, parallel to the length of the french doors with a 45 degree mitre on the ends and run a 45 degree return to the wall. Like a mini picture frame for the door threshold. I would leave a small gap and fill it with caulk that is similar color as the floor. I would run the perpendicular floor boards into this border for the french doors. Similar to one of your mentioned methods.

Old 03-20-07, 02:57 PM
The tree is cut, it isn't going to continue growing when moisture is introduced. Now, the shape and structure of the wood vessel, will swell with moisture in the circumference. meaning it will gain width and thickness in a board.

Use an endcap molding or sometimes called a baby threshold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: