glass or plexiglass flooring

Old 03-19-07, 11:06 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glass or plexiglass flooring

I am renovating a house which has an opening in the floor in the middle of a fairly high traffic area. The purpose is to provide natural light to the floor below. I would like to cover the opening with a safe, transparent material. What should I get?

Old 03-20-07, 03:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
appenzeller,

I'll have to admit, this is a "different" consideration from the routine flooring.

I definitely would not use Plexiglas due to it's lack of protection against damage cause by everyday general use. The use of polishes that supposedly are be clear will distort vibility.

Glass , on the other hand comes in just about any thickness and can even be tinted. Obviously, either glass and plexi...create a very slick surface when they get wet. I'm not aware any particular wax, that gives a clear appearance , and protects against slippery areas, especially when wet.

I'd do some checking around for a good sealant with anti-ski abilities. Gettin' some may be a problem.

Good luck.

CD

Old 03-20-07, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I knew a fellow who did maintenance work in a mall that had glass floors on their elevated decks.
He said that they use a special scuff resistant tempered glass made for floors and just changed out the panels when they started to look bad.

Oh ya, he also said that they use a rubber runner down the middle in the slushy season to keep sand and gravel from scratching.

Last edited by GregH; 03-20-07 at 09:54 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: