Bona traffic over oil based poly?

Old 03-24-07, 05:53 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bona traffic over oil based poly?

I just got mt entire house floors sanded and finished with oil based poly but now would like to put a coat of Bona Traffic for aided durability.. is this something that would work?

Old 03-24-07, 06:39 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My concern would be the compatibility of the two finishes. Too, Bona Traffic is water based and they recommend it to be used over their Bona Sealer. They do not guarantee adhesion over other finishes.

You already have oil-based poly finish. Oil-based is more durable than water-based. It will amber beautifully as it ages. You should have a fine finish on your floor already. With proper care and maintenance, refinishing should be years away. In a high-traffic homes where floors are not carefully cared for, refinishing may need to be done in 3-5 years. In Japan wood floors are lucky to get refinished every 200-300 years. They take their shoes off there.

Old 03-24-07, 07:07 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Water based polys are more durable than oil based ones.....I just learnt that a few days ago while doing research online.

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-24-07 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Quote deleted. Not necessary to quote a post in order to reply.
Old 03-24-07, 07:33 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most finishers tend to recommend oil-based poly as more durable than water-based. Many do, however, recommend Varathane as a durable water-based poly. There are likely other water-based products that are comparable in durability to oil-based.

Like with anything, it depends on the brand and if the premium quality product was purchased. Among the reasons many prefer water-based is that it is lower in odor, dries quicker between coats, shorter cure time, easier clean up, and it does not amber as it ages. There are reports that water-based poly raises grain. The Maple Flooring Manufacturer's Assoc. has issued a caution: "Note: The use of water based finishes has occasionally produced a side-bonding or panelization effect resulting in localized excessive cracks between the boards." Others report that water-based poly tends to show scratches more.

There are the oil-based and water-based fan clubs. I personally prefer the wax finish. Scratches are not a problem. If properly cared for, you never have to refinish a waxed floor. Wax is no longer popular because people do not like to wax floors. Most folks I know use water-based finish.

The National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's Association's (NOFMA) current statement re: the issue of oil-based versus poly, in addition to the differences explained above, is that water-based is

"These are clear, durable, non-yellowing
and are non-flammable at time of application. They
generally have advantages similar to Oil Modified
Urethanes without the odor of mineral spirits, and
they dry much faster."

and oil-based is

"generally the most
common surface finish. It is durable and moisture resistant,
and generally the easiest to apply." And, NOFMA describes moisture-cured and acid-cured as even more durable than oil or water-based urethanes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: