Fixing huge gouges in oak hardwood floor

Old 04-01-07, 07:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Fixing huge gouges in oak hardwood floor

I recently pulled up the carpet in my den so we can use our nice hardwood floors. However, I discovered huge gouges, scrapes and holes. Gouges as big as 1" diameter by 1/2" deep. I test patched a couple of the gouges with Minwax wood filler and matching stain but the whitish wood filler really stands out. I thought about going with putty but am concerned that it doesn't harden (I have two young and very curious boys who will pick at anything that looks like it will come apart.) I need inexpensive ideas to patch the gouges for now and that won't stand out too much until I can do a more permanent fix down the road. I am a home repair novice and have very limited financial resources. Any ideas will help. Thanks

Old 04-01-07, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Any filler you use will not stand up like the original wood but if you brush a matching texture water based clear coat it would likely last 'till you refinish the floors.

You likely could experiment by adding similar colored stain to a light wood filler untill you find a match.

Old 04-01-07, 01:53 PM
Mix stain in with the filler, to get the color you need. then stain pens to mimick the graining.

Old 04-01-07, 05:54 PM
T
Thanks

for the ideas. I apprecitate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: