Carpet padding to be used for hardwood soundproofing???

Old 04-01-07, 08:10 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpet padding to be used for hardwood soundproofing???

Hello. I am in the process of removing my carpet and installing 3/4" hardwood floor and was planning to place it only over Rosin paper.

I was now wondering if i can nail my hardwood down over the carpet pad instead of throwing away the carpet padding. Is it OK to use the carpet pad underneath the hardwood floor to at least have some soundproofing as opposed to just the Rosin paper. I am fortunate that my condo assoc. does not have soundproofing requiements but I was thinking why throw away the carpet pad if I can use it as a courtesy to the neighbors under me.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Gerard

Old 04-01-07, 08:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
No, don't leave the padding.

Old 04-01-07, 01:56 PM
No, it will not be OK!!

Recycle the foam cushion!!! I think it is around 30 a pound, depending what region you live in.

Old 04-01-07, 09:15 PM
G
Thanks for the response guys. I will take your advice and NOT use the carpet padding.

Can I instead do two layers of Red Rosin paper to help muff the sound....or will this actually have any effect at all.

I am not required to do any soundproofing but like i said i am just trying to be good neighbor to my friends who live underneath my unit.

Thanks again,
Gerard

Old 04-02-07, 07:53 AM
F
I would look into cork underlayment. I beleive that is typically used for some sound insulation. I don't think the rosin paper will do squat. Ofcouse you should check to see if it's can be used with your installation method, and approved by your manufacture and stuff.

Old 04-02-07, 03:08 PM
G
Thanks for the response. Like I said on my earlier post, I don't have to place any soundproofing beacause my association does not ask for it but I am trying to do it as a courtesy to the tenants underneath me, so I do not want to spend a lot.

I think I will be going with a 2 in 1 underlayment by Impressions, it is not really a soundproofing underlayment like the 3 in 1 but this does muffle the sound quite a bit compared to just plain Rosin paper. I plan to use the 2 in 1 which is a thin foam, color blue in 100ft by 3ft rolls on top of the Rosin since I already paid for the Rosin paper. I think this will do the job I am wanting which is truely just a courtesy. The cork rolls are too pricey for a courtesy.

Cheers guys and thanks for all the help....any comments on the 2 in 1 by Impressions which I plan to use will be welcome.

Thanks,
Gerard

Old 04-02-07, 03:51 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Whatever underlayment you choose, it is best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations in order avoid voiding warranties. Too, it is best to make a floor covering choice that does not avoid association guidelines. For 3/4" solid hardwood, 15# minimum roofing felt is recommended as a vapor retarder. Check with your manufacturer and your association before you proceed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: