Manufactured Home Sub-Flooring

Old 04-05-07, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Manufactured Home Sub-Flooring

I am in the process of finishing the planing & sanding of Maple that I am making into Hardwood Flooring. The random widths are 3", 4" & 5" & random lengths. The thickness is 3/4" w/tongue & groove sides. We want to install this in several rooms of our Manufactured home including the kitchen. I checking the kitchen sub-floor it looks like it is a pressed board. Linoleum covers this sub-floor. Will I be safe installing the flooring over the linoleum by nailing/stapling along w/gluing it to the linoleum? I don't really have the room to add 3/4" plywood on top of the linoleum. Will I have to tear up the present sub-floor & replace it w/plywood? TIA for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-07, 05:17 AM
If you are lucky, it is OSB, suitable for installing the floor. But I have seen too many 'manufacturered homes with particle board for subfloors, not good. Evne that is probably OK if it is sound, with no water damage. No sense in rebuilding the subfloor if not needed. I would go right over the old vinyl(with a layer of felt or rosin paper), but I would not glue the floor.

Old 04-06-07, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
I agree that the sub floor is probably particle board, usually 5/8" thickness. It might be a good idea to face nail the boards every so often with a long enough nail to secure the maple to the floor joists. The nail hole can be filled and stained or use colored putty after the first coat of poly to fill the hole.

Old 04-06-07, 08:16 AM
I would also like to add that you have a wide variety of widths in the flooring, which gernerally have different installation recommendations. The wider planks you are planning to install are ussually recommended to be screwed down in addition to blind nailing. This to to help reduce movement that the wider boards have more of a tendency to. I would not trust glue holding well to laminate. It may be wise to remove it, if that is not too problematic.

Old 04-06-07, 05:40 PM
Remove the particle board, and replace it with T&G plywood or OSB, at least "