Hardwood Floor Repair Possible?

Old 04-09-07, 11:51 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor Repair Possible?

I had trim put up in my foyer and the person doing it used a ladder and removed some of the stain from my floors with his ladder. The house is approx 80 years old and the oak floors are in excellent shape.

The wood itself doesn't appear to be damaged but whatever stain was on the floors was removed in several areas. I have no idea what type of stain was used but it was applied before we moved here about 15 years ago.

Is this something that I can try to repair myself? I'd like to try if at all possible because I don't want to have the whole floor refinished at this time.
There are about 8 one inch areas where the finish was removed.

Many thanks for any assistance. What a mess!

Old 04-11-07, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the workman who damaged your floors should be responsible for repairing them.

stain penetrates wood and "stains" it. it shouldn't just come off. there can't be any polyurethane or wax sealer on your floors for that to have happened. i would get some wood stain or a scratch cover & see if you can touch up those areas (err on the side of too light - you can always go darker, but not lighter).

and then if works & they look good, look into getting a finish on those floors to better protect them.

Old 04-11-07, 11:17 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Older finishes were often shellac or varnish and can be scraped off with a coin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: