LOUD Hardwood floors look nice but are too LOUD

Old 04-10-07, 12:46 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LOUD Hardwood floors look nice but are too LOUD

I just moved into a new home and its a raised shotgun double with hardwood floors. Everytime my neighbor walks I can clearly hear him...I can tell you exactly when he goes to sleep and gets up in the morning. Its not a squeeking sound. It's just the impact of him walking but its very LOUD. I'm sure its just as bad for him when I walk. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

Old 04-10-07, 02:25 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
In many apartment buildings and condos, they do not allow hardwood because of the sound problems. Carpet and cushion offer the best sound deadening. If you have hardwood flooring, perhaps area rugs with cushion beneath is a solution. Wearing houseslippers rather than hard sole shoes is also helpful.

Old 04-11-07, 10:54 AM
move

even if you both got carpeting with pad, you'd still "feel" him walking. you're basically sharing the same floor. it's the same house, just a wall between you. and since it's not a slab foundation, you'll always feel the vibrations of his walking. i don't see a cure for this except moving to a single family dwelling, or a newer duplex-type home built on a slab. or him moving out & a very lightweight person moving in.

Old 04-11-07, 11:27 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
And just on the positive side...You might get used it after a while and/or it might become less irritating after a while of living there.

Old 04-26-07, 09:24 AM
R
Thanks for the replies...I started sleeping with a small fan near my bed and the noise that it creates really helps drone out the walking sounds. I've been sleeping good for a week!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: