Hardwood floor installation, after work odor

Old 04-11-07, 12:19 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood floor installation, after work odor

Hi,

I just got my 3/4" hardwood site finished fully installed....it tunrned out awsome. Now i have the odor of the polyurethane finish smelling up the whole house...it does not bother me but I was concerned the odors or fumes might effect my pregnanat wife and 2 year old daughter.

Any tips other then keeping the windows open to get the smell over with. Also, is this odor dangerous. The installers informed me that it was water based and all was ok...but who knows??

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks,
Gerard

Old 04-11-07, 01:26 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Off gassing of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from water-based polyurethane is not as bad as from oil-based polyurethane. Yet, there is off gassing, and some people are more sensitive than others. In homes that are built tighter and are not adequately ventilated, it will take longer for fumes to dissipate. Ventilation is the key to expediting off gassing. Opening windows and setting up fans to blow the fumes out would help. Many advise that children and pregnant women should avoid VOC off gassing of household products. There is much info on the internet about the ill effects of VOCs and effects on pregnancy. For a brief article: http://www.cfc-efc.ca/espaces-sante/glossary_en.php?GID=144

Old 04-12-07, 01:09 PM
G
Yikes!!! Thanks a lot for the info and the link.

Cheers mate,
gerard

Old 04-12-07, 06:13 PM
D
best bet is negative air pressure, fans blowing out the window so you don't freeze yourselves out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: