NEED HELP....removing parquet and installing Pergo

Old 04-13-07, 12:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question NEED HELP....removing parquet and installing Pergo

I'm about to begin the task of installing pergo thorughout my condo but first will need to remove my parquet floors that were installed over concrete abut 30 years ago.

I've started removing the parquet floors and so far it's been easy but it's going to be a time consuming job. I'm only using my hands right now but plan to stop by Home depot and buy an edger (suggested on another bbs) to help speed it up.

Does anybody know if I have to remove the black tar/glue that is on the concrete before laying down Pergo?

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Old 04-14-07, 04:45 AM
With floating floors, only if you need to flatten the substrate in that area. The substrate needs to be 3/16 of an inch, in 10 feet for flatness requirements.

Old 04-19-07, 06:25 AM
J
might help

i just finished taken up the same floor yesterday..because im actually in the business the question i would ask you if i was on the phone with you would be..how thick is the glue and is it level? if not you would need to get a scraper and try and get the glue as level as possible if u completely want to get up the glue i recommend (which i suggest a respirator) airplane paint remover wait 30 mins then scrap it away mop residue up wait a day and then go back next day and lay ur floor on a smooth easy to adhere to base

Old 04-20-07, 07:47 PM
They all(glue manufacturers) recommend a mechanical removal of mastics, to clean the concrete.

Solvents and chemical removers/strippers, will cause a bond/adhesion concern with the new adhesive. Concrete has caplilaries/pores, that will absorb the chemicals, that will haunt you later.

Old 04-22-07, 05:44 PM
I have now finished taking up all the parquet floor and now what's left on the concrete is a black glue/tar. The fella installing the Pergo says it can stay -- he is going to lay the vapor barrier over it and then lay the Pergo -- is this correct.

Old 04-22-07, 07:44 PM
Yes, as long as the substrate meets the strict flatness requirements, stated above.

I forgot this is a floating floor. The post above where I said don't use chemicals, does not apply here. Only if you were gluing something back down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: