Hardwood Floor Water Damage Repair ?

Old 04-13-07, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor Water Damage Repair ?

I have oak hardwood flooring which is sealed with a satin finish. Where the dog dish sits I've always tried to keep a water proof mat that would prevent water from getting to the flooring. All good plans......

A regular mat got placed under the dishes and the dogs are messy resulting in the mat becoming wet (underneath) and it went unnoticed for some time. When the mat was removed I found a very dark, wet, rotten looking (although it isn't soft) spot.

Can I sand that spot and reseal with poly only there? Does the entire floor need to be done? Are there any other options?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-07, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most often these water stains can not be sanded out because of the depth of the penetration of the water stain. Some have success bleaching less severe stains with wood bleach (oxalic acid). Depending on severity of stain, you can often expect to make the stain lighter but not completely remove it. Some stain floors a darker color to camouflage stains when bleach fails. Others replace affected boards with some removed from inconspicuous area such as in a closet. Then, new boards are installed where borrowed ones were located. Attempts to refinish a small area of a floor tend to be obvious, so most refinish the entire floor.