creeking wood floor

Old 04-14-07, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
creeking wood floor

my parents just put laminate pergo foor in there home, and after looking at theres i want to do the same in my home, but when you walk on there it creeks real bad, i dont want to put it in my home and it does that, my home is on a slab foundation, while there home sits off the ground on a wood foundation, is that why theres creeks or will my floor too? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-07, 01:16 PM
Whether wood or concrete subfloor, if subfloor is not flat then product will creak and squeak. Subfloor prep is very important for a professional installation. If installing over concrete, moisture testing is very important to eliminate moisture issues, and manufacturer's recommended vapor retarder must be installed.

See this archived thread: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=182115

Old 04-15-07, 05:40 PM
An unflat substrate(1/8" in 6 feet) or a laminate with no expansion space left at the perimeter, will make noises when a floating floor is installed.

Old 04-15-07, 06:48 PM
yeah, im sure there floor is uneven, a home built in the 40's. so mine shouldnt do that. thanks.

Old 04-17-07, 04:21 PM
mcm
My home was built in 92, and the floors were clearly engineered for carpet. I had to re-engineer the subfloor completely to achieve the required flatness, you should check your flatness even if the house was recently built.

Old 04-18-07, 07:09 AM
my home is on a slab, should i still check to see if it level, and how would i do this? thanks.

Old 04-18-07, 10:43 AM
mcm
Level doesn't matter, flatness matters. Regarding checking for flatness:

Yes, definitely. You can use string, a screed, or a level, so long as it's long enough. You would want at least 6 foot, preferably 8.

If using string, try to get some of that fluorescent fishing line. It's thin and very easy to see. You'll need someone to help, basically you will attach one end of the string to one part of the floor (the middle), and drag it around in a radius, pulling it tight and pressing it down near the edges. Look for gaps under the string.

Same thing if using a screed or level, but it's easier to see gaps and you can do it by yourself. Tilt the screed/level and look for light coming in through gaps. It can be time consuming to confirm whether what appears to be a low spot is really a low spot and not a ridge or raised area. I would imagine (not having done it myself) that flattening concrete would be easier than a wood floor, since you can pretty liberally use leveling compound. But then if your floor is too far out of LEVEL this can be problematic.

Last edited by mcm; 04-18-07 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Clarification