Same subject but different question on underlayment

Old 04-17-07, 06:04 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Same subject but different question on underlayment

I found this statement on a flooring site about underlayment, "Any underlayment and/or vapor barrier is also "loose"."

I found that statement on Floors.com. So you don't staple the underlayment to the subfloor? I would have thought you would. Also, how should the underlayment lay, the same directions as the length of the planks or across the planks. One site said with the planks but didn't say why which I hate. If you give directions to do something, then at least tell me why and what will happen if I don't do it that way. I have the gut feeling that it would be better to have the underlayment going opposite the way the planks go. That way you would go across the joining seams and not with them. Any body to help on these two questions?

Old 04-18-07, 11:32 AM
the underlayment is laid out parallel with the planks. why? i don't know. but i know that's what CarpetsDoneWright has said here in the past, and that's the way we did it. it does, however, come in handy cuz you can lay it out as you go with the planks, instead of having to lay out the whole room.

and no, you don't staple or glue it down. it floats, as does the flooring. you wouldn't want to staple it down & make a thousand little holes in it.

Old 04-18-07, 02:54 PM
The only thing you overlap, is the plastic flap on the 2-n-1, or if using a separate moisture barrier.

Don't over lap the cushion, if it is just the cushion. If it is a 2-n-1 without a plastic flap, use clear packing tape to seal the seams.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: