Plywood Question

Old 04-19-07, 10:18 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plywood Question

Hello. I had asked this in the Boating/fishing forum, but it doesn't get too much action, so I figured I'd ask here.

I am replacing the floor of my 17' boat. Wondering about Marine Grade vs. Pressure Treated 3/4" plywood. The cost is more then 3x of PT. I think there's an anti rot in the gluing of Marine Grade to extend longevity. Is this true?

For this flooring application, could I get away with pressure treated that I seal? What's a good sealant as I've heard horror stories about Thompsons. Silicone? I'm not so concerned about warping as I'll be screwing 3 seperate pieces along the ribs to fit around the livewell, battery and dry storage compartments and then carpeting or using Dri-dek.

Thanks in advance! AW

Old 04-19-07, 11:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
I don't know too much about boats but let me tell you about my 51 ford truck bed About 23-24 yrs ago I replaced the wood floor bed with a 3/16" thick piece of stainless steel I acquired. Because of it being so thin I set it on top of 1/2" cdx plywood that I had put 3 coats of exterior oil base paint on. Within a couple of years the bed floor was weak because the cdx had rotted.

About 20 yrs ago I bought PT plywood and replaced the cdx. I don't remember what I did to it paint wise. Today the bed is still solid although I expect to replace it with hardwood the next time I redo the truck.

A little off base but maybe it will help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: