staining a old oak floor-refinishing

Old 05-01-07, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
staining a old oak floor-refinishing

Doing an old oak floor that has been covered for 15-20 years with rugs.I took up the rug and only around the sides(2-3 ft from wall) is there any finish left.There isn't any big defects on the floor.Would it be wrong to start at a medium grit (80 or 100) or should I do a pass with #60 first.What grit should I finish at.I want to stain a light color (minwax oil) before I do 3 coats of oil ploy(minwax floor). I've been to that NOFMA site (its been referenced a few time at this site) and must be blind,cant find any thing there (free). I will be using a drum sander.I realize you have to keep it moving and not stop in one place for a few seconds.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-07, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try clicking on the publications and then the pdf's on nofma site.

I would think it's wrong to start with medium grit, unless you like the idea of your new finish not sticking or any other problems that may come up and then doing it again, if there is enough wood left. At this point with as little carpet as you have taken up I wouldn't think you have the complete picture of the problem areas of the floor.

I have some extra plywood. I am planing on taking the sander for a spin on that first before I use it on the hardwood to get a feel for it.

Good luck!