Glue down over cutback adhesive residue?

Old 05-01-07, 07:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glue down over cutback adhesive residue?

Looking for some help from the experts.

I need to have an old parquet floor removed that is held down with non-asbestos cutback adhesive. I am getting conflicting messages from different installers.

One installer says I must scrape off as much cutback adhesive residue as possible and then put down a plywood subfloor and glue engineered product to the new subfloor. He claims the new adhesive will react with the old adhesive and we will end up with a mess.

Other installer says that I can scrape cutback adhesive off existing concrete slab and just glue over the residue. He made the comment that he has done it many times without problem. He also stated that he likes to use the old solvent based adhesives.

Which one is right? Can we seal down cutback adhesive residue with some product and than glue right to the slab?

Old 05-01-07, 07:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutback and other non-water soluble adhesive residues must be thin and well bonded to
the subfloor. Note: The use of ARDEX SD-F over adhesive residues is recommended
for projects only where the adhesive residue may interfere with the performance of the
new flooring. For a permanent barrier to migration of adhesive residues on commercial
projects, use ARDEX K-15 + E-25 or ARDEX SD-L following the Recommended Work
Practices of the Resilient Floor5 Covering Institute.

look at the ARDEX website for further information. Scrape it down, and encapsulate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: