Can this floor be refinished?

Old 05-05-07, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can this floor be refinished?

We had to pull up the carpet due to finding out that our son has dust mite allergies. The floor underneath it in better condition that I thought it would be, but I'm still not sure if it can be refinished. The pictures are of a few problem spots.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/chandltp/BlackSpots.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/chandltp/Stain.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/chandltp/MissingFinish.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/chandltp/WhiteSpots.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/chandltp/Stairs.jpg

I don't know how many times it's been refinished. How can I tell if I have enough floor left to sand and refinish?

I have probably 800 SF of floor to refinish. Any ideas on how much it would cost to do my self? How much do you think it would cost to hire it out in based on 3 separate rooms? I'm not looking for an exact cost, but I don't even know if it's $500 or $5000 right now.

Also, I've never done this before. Are they any good finishes that can be walked on the same day? We don't want to have to move out to do this, but the floor is in our hallway, living room, dining room, and computer / play room.

I'm planning on probably just replacing the treads on the stairs since there in such bad shape and so full of holes from the staples from the carpeting.

If there's anything I haven't asked please feel free to volunteer information.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-07, 07:33 AM
I am not a pro but i had my floors refinished in a previous house. I had most of the same issues you have. I had about 8-900 sq feet done, no stairs, it was around 2500 dollars if i remember right. The only issue that wasn't resolved completely was black spots. I think they are normaly urine stains and some of it will remove but you may still have a stain after refinished. I guess it would depend on how deep into the wood grain the stain goes. My floors (aside from a few light colored black spots) looked awesome after refinishing, i wished i had done it earlier.

Old 05-05-07, 08:39 AM
As long as there is wood remaining above the tongue and groove on boards, they can be sanded and refinished.

Cost to sand and refinish will be the amount paid for renting the equipment and purchasing supplies. Replacement treads will be expensive.

Sanding will create a lot of dust. Water-based polyurethane is not as smelly as oil-based, but it still has an odor. It would not be a healthy environment for children during the refinishing process. Staying in the house during the finishing increases the possibility of dust, hair, etc. of getting in the finish. Each coat of finish will need time to dry before applying next coat. Floor will need to cure before replacing furniture. The average refinishing job takes 2-3 days. Whether DIY or professional finishing, leaving the home is best.

Go to www.nofma.org and click Publications and download for free the National Oak Flooring Manufacturers Association's technical manual on finishing wood floors. This will explain the sanding and finishing process.

Old 05-06-07, 06:06 AM
At $2500 that is about the cost of putting in laminate if I calculated correctly (depending on the laminate used). With the flaws in the floor am I going to be farther ahead covering it with laminate or something of the like?

I realize it would probably be cheaper if I refinished the floors myself. However, maybe not as I would have to do it room by room since I wouldn't have anywhere to put the furniture to do the whole house. That would me 3 or 4 rentals and a lot of inconvenience.

Also, since the treads are expensive do I have an option to cover them with something?

Old 05-06-07, 11:37 AM
Seems a pity to cover real hardwood floors which could be sanded and refinished. Get some estimates and discuss the logistics of moving the furniture and having to stay out of the house.

If refinishing is going to be too expensive and too problematic, then covering the floors is an option. In the meantime, price engineered wood and laminate flooring products and installation costs if not going to install yourself.

Stairs can be stripped, holes filled, sanded and refinished. This can be a DIY project, but you would have to stay off the stairs. Another option is to cover them with carpet.

Old 05-06-07, 04:33 PM
I agree, get some estimates, its free to get an estimate. Also if you don't have to worry about the floors durability (large dogs etc) IMO real hardwood beats laminate hands down any day. I have laminate in my new house and love it, but i have two large dogs. They make some really nice laminates these days, but even still IMO they don't have the warms or depth that real wood does.

Last edited by twelvepole; 05-07-07 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Quote removed. No need to quote an entire post to reply
Old 05-06-07, 07:57 PM
Sounds like I'll be getting some estimates. I didn't know if it was possible for a floor to be too far gone to refinish or not.

Old 05-07-07, 07:23 PM
Refinish them

I pulled up the carpet in my dining room a couple of years ago to reveal a floor similar to yours. It was in BAD shape. Dark stains and bare spots and paint etc.

I paid $850 to get that room and one other room (that was in much better shape) sanded and finished with 3 coats of polyurethane. Both floors look great but the dining room floor looks amazing. All that abuse over the years created patterns/designs in the wood. It has so much more character than the other room.

I had to stay off them for 6 or 7 days. 3 days for them to do the work and then another 3 to let them dry before I put furniture on them. I don't regret doing it for a second.