considering laminate to replace carpet

Old 05-06-07, 05:54 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
considering laminate to replace carpet

I am considering laminate to replace some tired old carpet on the 2nd floor of my house. I have some questions that I'd like to bounce off the team here.

I am likely to buy the Ikea Tundra product for the value and laying it on top of the NIVÅ floor liner

1. What is the verdict on this product - is it good quality? Are there other products i should be considering?

2. how noisy will it be downstairs? I have hardwoods downstairs I believe laid straight on to the subfloor and in the basement you can hear everything. Will the floor liner elimiante much of the noise?

3. Ikea don't appear to sell any moldings on their website - I plan to buy mail order. Can I use moldings from Pergo or those i can buy at places like Lowes/Home Depot?

4. What do i do at the top of the stairs? Currently the carpet is hiding all that is there right now. I am a stickler for things looking good :-)

5. I plan to put this in the hall plus 4 rooms off of the hallway ... do i need to orient it all the same direction or should i install it lengthwise towards the sources of light?

6. one room is 20'x25' ... this this too big? I read about the expansion being an issue .. i think i will lay it and see how it is for several weeks before putting down the edging strip - any issue inletting it float like this?

7. the hallway itself is about 35 feet long with two gentle bends in it - a shicane!!! will i be ok with this length and negotiating the bend? At each end there would be a T molding into two of the rooms.

thanks
G

Last edited by Carpets Done Wright; 05-06-07 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 09:06 PM
1. What is the verdict on this product - is it good quality? Are there other products i should be considering?

Yes, a lot more to consider. I can't get too brand specific here. It is against the rules.

2. how noisy will it be downstairs? I have hardwoods downstairs I believe laid straight on to the subfloor and in the basement you can hear everything. Will the floor liner elimiante much of the noise?

No, not really. It will echo that hollow sound. Area rugs will be your friend.

3. Ikea don't appear to sell any moldings on their website - I plan to buy mail order. Can I use moldings from Pergo or those i can buy at places like Lowes/Home Depot?

Ya, you can, if you can find a matching color(good luck!!)

4. What do i do at the top of the stairs? Currently the carpet is hiding all that is there right now. I am a stickler for things looking good :-)

You need a stairnose. And you may need to modify the existing step profile.

5. I plan to put this in the hall plus 4 rooms off of the hallway ... do i need to orient it all the same direction or should i install it lengthwise towards the sources of light?

It is up to you. Be sure to use "T" moldings at all the doorways, so each area can float independently, or you will eventually get separation at the doorways if you try to continuously run it into the rooms from the hall.

6. one room is 20'x25' ... this this too big? I read about the expansion being an issue .. i think i will lay it and see how it is for several weeks before putting down the edging strip - any issue inletting it float like this?

Acclimation and constant humidity levels will be what to be anal about. I would acclimate for a week or longer. The longer the better.

7. the hallway itself is about 35 feet long with two gentle bends in it - a shicane!!! will i be ok with this length and negotiating the bend? At each end there would be a T molding into two of the rooms.

Keep an eye on it and keep a constant humidity level and you should be OK.

Old 05-09-07, 04:54 PM
T
Thanks Mr Wright .. i appreciate the advice.

TheImperialOne

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: