How long to lay the floor

Old 05-08-07, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long to lay the floor

Hi everyone

I am trying to determine an estimate on how long it would take to lay approx 2500 sq ft of laminate-floating floor click together application. I know there is not a right answer to this but just trying to ballpark.

Would like to hear from you professional installers on here as to how long it would take you to do that kind of job and as well you DIY'ers on how long it took you for your jobs.

THe reason I am asking is we are building a house and I am wanting to do the floor myself to save some money and I just want to see about how much time i will need to take off from work. Thanks to all and have a great day

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-07, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello!

I've laid floating floor once in my home as a DIYer and it took me a better part of a day (around 5-6 hrs)to get things right, and that was with some help.

I only had about 600sqft to lay, so it's not as much as you need too do.

I took the time to make sure I had the concrete slab prepped (i.e. leveling, vapor barrier, etc).

This 6 hr time also include 2-3 trips back to the Home Depot. :-)

It was not that difficult, just had too use my noodle alot to make sure I got the cuts right.

Planning is key. Measure two or three times and cut once. Map your floor plan out and make sure you know what you are going to do when it comes to a non 90 degree angle.

If it were me, I would hire this size of a job out. It would probably save you money in the end.

Old 05-08-07, 08:57 PM
It all depends. Width of product makes a big difference. How much floor prep to get the substrate within the flatness requirements, is a big unknown, for time. It took me 21 hours on my last job, to prep 1400 sq.ft. and I work solo. The job before that was 600 sq.ft. and I had 12 hours into it, in floor prep.

Big rooms are going to go fairly straight forward and a lot faster then hallways and closets, or angles.

It would take me 5 to 10, 8 hour days, to complete 2500 sq.ft., working solo.

Old 05-09-07, 06:58 AM
Wow. Board width is going to be 5" minimum. The bottom floor consist of living room 17x20, dining 12 x 14, master 14 x 19, so i think the bottom floor shouldn't be too much of a problem. It is the upstairs that has two small hallways and most the closets. I will have some help maybe 1 other person. I was thinking of taking a week off and working everyday on it. I am thinking that with no wierd angles i might be ok as long as they build the floors flat enough. Which if they don't I guess i can always have them fix it before i get started. This is a house that is being built.

Thanks again for the advice any other comments are welcomed and appreciated