Floating floor meets stairs confusion (pics)

Old 05-17-07, 05:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floating floor meets stairs confusion (pics)

I'm in the process of preparing my subfloor for a floating engineered floor and I'm unsure what I'll do when the floor meets my stairs.

In the picture I've removed the existing stair nose. If I put it back it'll be a half inch below my floating floor. If I put in extra plywood so that the stair nose is flush with the floating floor the stair nose will be a half inch higher than the big trim piece on the left that's underneath the railing. I'm also assuming I don't want the railing bolted down through the floating floor.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/grossk9202/?action=view&current=Stairs.jpg

Kevin

Old 05-17-07, 06:35 PM
S
The picture helped a lot. Fill the bare spot in, (where the stair nose was), with a material of equal thickness to what's there now, but stop it even with the edge. The floor material you're going to use should have trim pieces available, to include stairnose. Install the new floor so it is shy of the stair edge by the thickness of the bottom of the stairnose piece plus the expansion gap. Once the install is finished at that edge, install the stair nose so it over laps the new floor in the back and the carpet in the front. The issue I see with this will be matching the level of the existing nose on the side that's still there. You may need to get a bit creative with that. There's my two cents worth. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with a different idea.

Old 05-22-07, 12:02 PM
B
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. The stair nose peice finally came so I've gotten as far as getting the plywood down to fill in where the old stair nose was.

Now I have a couple more questions.

First, is a stair nose like this generally attached with countersunk screws and then filled in with wood putty? Or am I better off trying to glue it.

Second, I assume the stair nose would look better if I were to cut the end towards the railing at a 45 degree angle and then do the same with whatever additional trim peice I put in.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-22-07, 09:09 PM
S
If it's the kind that doesn't use a track and you don't mind the screw holes, I'd do both screws and glue. The nose will take a lot of traffic over the coming years and you want it to stay put.

The forty five idea was sort of what I was thinking also, but someone else may have a better idea.

Old 05-23-07, 05:19 AM
I glue it and use small brad nails to hold it from slipping, while the glue sets up.

Use a moisture cure urethane adhesive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: