Leveling sunken floor before installing laminate flooring

Old 05-20-07, 04:48 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Leveling sunken floor before installing laminate flooring

I am trying to find out all I need to do to first level off my 3 1/2 inch sunken slab living room before covering the whole room with laminate.
I plan on just laying 2x4 sideways (rip a 1/2 inch off to compensate for the 1/2 plywood thickness) every 16 inches across a 13 foot X 11 foot 11 1/4 inch area. Right now the whole floor is concrete slab so should I put insulation down between the 2x4's and/or some kind of vapor sheet? Do I need to leave some kind of gap between the wall and opposite side of the sunken slab for expansion? Two sides of the sunken floor is bordered already with a 2x4 so I was thinking that I can just attach my "joists" to the one side that is wood and leave a small gap up against the wall.
For the plywood floor, should I use plywood or something else on top of the 2x4's? Is 1/2 inch enough or should I do 3/4 inch?
Any knowledge on this "small" home improvement would be helpful.

Old 05-20-07, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you attempting to raise this floor to the existing home?

You need to tape up vapor barrier and have it attach 2" above the wall. (the base moulding will hide this)

Most laminates come with some sort of insulator affixed to the bottom.

You do not want movement in the subfloor. Recommended subloor for tile is 1 1/8" thick. I'm sure it's the same for laminate.

You want about 1/4" gap at the edges to compensate for expansion.

Old 05-21-07, 06:44 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mark. Yes, I am trying to bring the floor up to the rest of the slab. Good advice on putting the vapor barrier down first and then put the sub-floor down. About the 1/4 inch gap, is that for the 2x4's? I was thinking that I can attach one end to the existing 2x4 that is attached to the concrete and leave the 1/4 gap on the other side on my new 2x4 that I will be installing as the base of the sub-floor.

"Recommended sub-floor for tile is 1 1/8" thick. I'm sure it's the same for laminate." Are you saying that I need to have 1 1/8 " think plywood instead of only 1/2 " for the surface?

Wish I could attach a pic or two so I can show you what I'm talking about.

Old 05-21-07, 08:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can have the outter 2x4's butted up against the walls if you want. You can use construction adhesive to hold the all of it to the concrete.

You want the 1/4" gap along the edges just for the laminate. You can leave the gap there with the subfloor as well. Remember the base moulding will hide this.

1/2" plywood is to weak. It would have to much movement which can cause your laminate to seperate.

Hopefully a skillful pro will chime in to give their feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: