Help, installing floors and trash compactor too tall?

Old 05-22-07, 02:53 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help, installing floors and trash compactor too tall?

Both my dishwasher and trash compactor are pulled out for the installation of the new 3/4" solid hardwood and the compactor hole is too short by just 1/8-1/4". The installer was going to put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood down in the "hole" so the appliance would not be boxed in but I am short! What do I do? The dishwasher is fine because the legs can screw all the way up but the compacter is the standard size and the hole is just 35" tall! Should I just let them box it in? Take it out all together? They said they will work around the kitchen today until I resolve the problem but I don't know what to do!

The countertop is laminate so it is sitting on a solid piece of plywood and right at the compactor hole there seems to be an extra deep piece to support the countertop. Should I try and sand away under the counter? The hardwood installers are saying that might damage the countertop.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! I am in a panic.

Old 05-22-07, 03:00 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Just a thought. When installing wood and when you get to the compactor, install that piece of wood with double-sided tape so that the piece can be easily removed. That is, if you think the one piece will allow for removal of the compactor. It may involve two rows. You can experiment with some pieces of wood to determine number of rows of wood that would be involved.

Old 05-22-07, 07:19 PM
I had to seriously modify the bottom railings on a trash compactor. They had an old one in when I installed the flooring, and I made sure it could be removed, before the flooring went in. Well I came out alright, but the new one they bought a month after I had completed the job, was a " to tall.

I had to cut the leg supports and railing, and use nuts and bolts, with some fabricated angle brackets I made, and reinforced the lowered bottom supports(with the adjustable legs removed...

Oh,ya... does it too, have adjustable legs, like the diswasher?

If so, have you totally removed the adjustable feet???

Old 05-23-07, 09:05 AM
F
Thanks for your replies! I figured it out, well someone else figured it out. I am going to just have the floor guys put in the 3/4" plywood to raise up the hole for the compacter with the rest of the new floor and then AFTER it is all done, a carpenter will be able to shave the small 1/8 inch off of the bottom of the counter top support. I was in such a panic because I thought I had to solve it right then and there. I even considered letting them put the floor in FRONT of the compactor and that would have been a baaaad mistake.

Oh, the floors look so beautiful! My house looks like a completely different house. Between the new ceilings, the great paint job and now the floors, I don't even recognize it!! What a great investment but oh boy, it was hard work for me just getting everything out and dealing with stuff like the phone and cable lines I never even considered. At least the floor guys were nice enough to work around my giant pieces of furniture. The subfloors were so bad that they had to lay new plywood in many spots and spent the whole day on Monday grinding spots but it is going fast now! I commend all of you hard workers because it is incredibly labor intensive. Not at all "just snap it together and nail it"!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: