Not sure what to do with floors...

Old 05-23-07, 12:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not sure what to do with floors...

We just bought a 55 year old home and aren't sure what to do with the floors.

There is hardwood in there (about 1.5 inch wide), but the previous owner started installing laminate - which is in the kitchen. They didn't finish the whole downstairs so you basically step down from the laminate in the kitchen to the old hardwood in the living room.

The current hardwood is in very rough shape.

Our dilemma is do we continue the laminate through to the living room, sand and re-finish the current floors or put in new hardwood altogether.

We're only considering the laminate right now as something to put down because we really don't have the money for the last 2 options at the moment.

Today I went into Rona and they said that you can't put laminate or hardwood over the old stuff because it will raise the level of the floor too much. After I told him there is already some laminate there, he said well it CAN be done, but it's not recommended.

Anyone have any advice on this? Anyone know how much sanding/refinishing would cost?

Is it hard to do the laminate floors? What tools are needed?

Thanks!

Old 05-23-07, 02:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Today's laminates are very DIY friendly. So long as the existing floor meets flatness requirements and the doors will still clear or are wood so they can be trimmed, I can't see why you couldn't finish the laminate job that's been started. I'm not aware of a situation where putting laminate over hard wood would not be recommended, but then, I haven't seen your floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: